What it Takes to Build a Drill Dock Organizer:
Time: 2 hours
Skill Level: Beginner
Tools: Clamp, jigsaw, circular saw, basic hand tools
1. Measure with a Clamp
To determine the width of the pipe slot for your drill dock organizer, use a clamp to measure the width of the tool handle.
2. Mark the Slot
Transfer the handle width to the pipe and mark out the slot. Make the slot about 1/8 in. wider than the tool handle. The length of the slot isn’t critical; 5 in. is about right for most drills. This is where your drills will dock.
3. Cut the Slot
A fine-tooth jigsaw blade, such as a metal-cutting blade, is best. After cutting, ease the sharp edges with a file or sandpaper.
Here are our tips for using a jigsaw.
4. Mount the Holsters
Drill holes in the pipes and fasten each with at least two screws. You can mount the holsters on an existing shelf or build the drill dock organizer as shown in Figure A.
If the drill dock organizer shown here suits your needs perfectly, just build it as detailed in Figure A. If not, you can easily alter it. Here are some suggestions:
- Three-inch PVC pipe is best for the holsters and accommodates most tools. A 10-ft. pipe costs less than $20. Many home centers also sell shorter lengths.
- We made our holsters 12 in. long. Shorter is fine, but don’t go so short that you’ll have to remove bits in order to stow the tools. Cut the pipe with a miter saw or a handsaw.
- Leave enough space between holsters so you can comfortably grab the tool. We centered our holsters 6-1/2 in. apart.
- Adjusting the width of the dock to suit your tools is easy; just change the length of the shelves and the back. But don’t skimp. Leave space for future tools.
- Get a power strip ($10) and park it on the bottom shelf so you can plug in all your chargers. Drill a hole in the side of the dock to accommodate the power strip cord.
- Tools and batteries are heavy, so build the dock from 3/4-in. plywood. Ours required a 4 x 4-ft. sheet ($20).
For more garage organization projects click here.
Project PDF Files
Click the link below to download the construction drawings for this drill dock organizer project.