Covering Your Air Conditioner Condenser Unit
Add a simple plywood cover for winter protection.
IntroductionCover your air conditioner condenser with plywood for the winter. If you wrap it with plastic, it'll rust.
Project step-by-step (2)
Cover Your Air Conditioner Condenser with Plywood
- Plywood weighted down with bricks does a good job of protecting your air conditioner condenser in winter.
- If you want to protect the metal and keep it looking good, give your condenser a coat of car wax before the snow flies.
Don't wrap it!
- Wrapping your condenser can cause rust.
- Even when wrapped tightly, your condenser isn't airtight. So moisture gets trapped under your tarp and condenses on the inside of the unit.
- Covering an A/C condenser also encourages rodents to move the family into new digs where they're protected from the elements. Once they're settled in, they'll gnaw on the compressor wiring and insulation. Come spring, you'll have a stinky cleanup, a rusty A/C condenser and a hefty bill for rewiring.