How to Clean Inside Car Windows
Follow these steps to clean glass on the inside and get rid of fingerprints, smudges and the dust generated by your dashboard and upholstery.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
An hour or less
Less than $20
IntroductionLearn how to clean inside car windows with these simple step-by-step instructions.
- Microfiber cloths
- Reaching tool with a curved head (optional)
- Interior glass cleaner
Project step-by-step (4)
- Wipe the inside car windows with a dry, reversible cleaning cloth, with a thick cleaning side and a fine drying side, working from top to bottom in an up-and-down motion.
Paper towels also work, but microfiber cloths won't leave pesky fibers behind on the glass.
This prep step removes that nearly invisible filmy layer of dirt and dust particles that stem from the plastic, vinyl and rubber inside the car.
- Spray the car window cleaning solution directly onto another microfiber cloth.
Just a few spritzes at a time should do the trick. Avoid spraying the cleaner directly onto the glass. Too much cleaner can make the glass hazy. Choose a cleaner that specifies it's safe for interior use, such as Meguiar's Perfect Glass, to avoid exposure to chemicals like ammonia while inside your car. Or make your own glass cleaner with equal parts distilled water and isopropyl alcohol, plus a capful of white vinegar.
Wipe On Cleaner
- Rub the cleaner-dampened microfiber cloth in a circulation motion, again working from top to bottom.
- The lower corners of the windshields can be tricky and nearly impossible to reach, so a reaching tool with a curved head, such as the Xindell extendable windshield reaching/cleaning tool with a 14-1/2-in. reach, works well. This tool is optional.
- Wipe the glass dry with the other side of your dry microfiber cloth, or a fresh one, for a streak-free finish.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 until sparkling.