The Pros and Cons of Stainless Steel Appliances
Before you make the big decision of which appliances to purchase, review this list of the pros and cons of stainless steel appliances.
When your fridge dies, your range operates only on high, or your dishwasher starts leaking, it’s time to go appliance shopping. While the task of replacing or updating can be fun for the opinionated, it’s a headache for the indecisive. Without fail, you’ll walk by a row of beautiful stainless steel appliances and think: is this right for me? Should I go stainless this time around? Before you decide, peruse these pros and cons of this popular kitchen appliance finish.
The Pros of Stainless Steel Appliances
- It looks pretty spectacular. Stainless steel is the go-to option if you want your kitchen to look modern, sleek and trendy. There’s a reason it’s still the top choice of many kitchen designers. You know what’s even trendier than stainless? Black stainless!
- It’s resistant to the bad stuff. Because of its elemental makeup, stainless steel is incredibly durable. It fights off rust, fire and heat which makes it top-choice for those who want an appliance that will last and not show wear and tear. If you need to get rid of some scratches, try this handy trick.
- It lasts. If your goal is to have an appliance that lasts as long as possible on the inside and out, then choose stainless. Make your appliances last longer with these easy maintenance tips.
Plus: Learn the best way for how to clean stainless steel refrigerators.
The Cons of Stainless Steel Appliances
- It shows all the smudges. It’s well-known that stainless steel appliances leave fingerprint evidence like they’re preparing to prove a case. Luckily, this secret ingredient can ward off most of those prints. On top of that, they show every bit of smudge and grime. If you have children, you’ll need to clean many times a day… and many times more if you’re what some call an “inventive chef” (a.k.a. a hot mess in the kitchen).
- It’s not cheap. Plan to stretch the pocketbook if you’re going against white or black appliances. Stainless is often the most expensive option. Here are some tricks that could help you save money on new appliances.
- (Sometimes) It’s non-magnetized. Some stainless appliances aren’t magnetic which can be a pain if you like to post art projects, lists, or awkward holiday family photos on the fridge.