How to Drill a Hole in Tile
Mounting towel bars, shower doors and other bathroom accessories often require drilling holes in tile. We show you how with this simple kit.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Family Handyman editor, Jeff Gorton, shows you how to use a QEP drill bit kit to drill holes in tile without cracking the tile. Get a perfect worry-free hole every time.
What to Use to Drill a Hole in Tile
Drilling a hole through tile can be nerve-wrecking because if done incorrectly tile can crack easily. But with the QEP’s diamond drill kit, drilling through tile is simple. The kit contains a water cooling system, a drill guide, adhesive pads and a diamond drill bit. Multiple drill bit sizes are available for different size holes.
Steps For Drilling Holes in Tile
- Mark the holes on the tile where you want to drill.
- Line up the plastic container over your mark and press it to the tile. The adhesive will hold it in place and create a seal.
- Place the water reservoir on top and fill it with water.
- Use the diamond tipped drill bit in your favorite drill/driver to drill the hole. Slide the drill bit and out as you go to keep it wet.
- Refill the reservoir if the water runs out before you’re done drilling the hole.
- Remove the plastic container and water reservoir once your hole is complete.