How to Clean Baseboards
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Cleaning baseboards is easy. We’ll show you how to clean baseboards quickly and efficiently.
Baseboards often get overlooked and only get noticed when they’re looking particularly dirty. Left without cleaning, baseboards can get pretty dusty and grimy, so you definitely want to include them in your spring cleaning routine. Fortunately, cleaning baseboards is easy. We’ll show you how to clean baseboards quickly and efficiently.
Here’s how to clean baseboards:
Tools Needed for Cleaning Baseboards
How to Clean Baseboards Easily:
- To begin, move all furniture away from the walls. This will make the baseboard cleaning process go much quicker.
- Dry dust all of your baseboards with the microfiber cloth and use a bath towel or a yoga mat, if you have one, to rest your knees on while cleaning. Using a dry microfiber cloth will pick up more dust, and keep your baseboards from becoming built-up with oily substances.
- Next, mix a few drops of dish soap and warm water together in a bucket. This is your cleaning solution.
- Dip a fresh microfiber cloth into the warm soapy water to begin deep cleaning your baseboards. Don’t let the microfiber cloth get too wet as it could ruin your wood floors by trailing pools of water. Additionally, a soggy cloth won’t clean as effectively.
- Wipe down all of your baseboards with the damp microfiber cloth, and make sure to switch out the soapy water as it gets murky with dust and dirt.
- Make sure to clean all baseboard corners and edges using cotton swabs dipped in the warm soapy water.
- Wipe the baseboards dry with another clean microfiber cloth, or set up a fan to dry the baseboards for you.
- Once the baseboards are dry, move all of your furniture back into place.
How to Clean Baseboards Without Bending Over
The Swiffer Sweeper floor mop is a go-to cleaning tool for homeowners with hard floors, but did you know that it’s also perfect for dusting baseboards? Attach a dry cloth to the Swiffer’s rectangle end and swipe it along the baseboard to pick up dust, cobwebs, dirt, and more.
Additionally, the extension handle on the Swiffer makes reaching high surfaces like door trim simple and safe—so you don’t have to stand on a step stool or ladder.
Cleaning Baseboards on a Regular Basis
Once you’ve taken the time and effort to clean your baseboards thoroughly, keep them looking nice by cleaning them weekly or biweekly. Simply move furniture out of the way, wipe down your baseboards with the microfiber cloth, and then put everything back into place. You can also clean your baseboards with a vacuum cleaner and the appropriately sized attachment.
Check out these 100 essential cleaning tips for your home.