How to Clean Cloth Car Mats
Learn how to clean your car's cloth mats to see a big difference in your interior. Your mats will look like you just drove your car off the lot.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
Cleaning cloth car mats isn't too different from cleaning the carpet in your house. Vacuuming and then scrubbing with a carpet cleaner will make a noticeable difference in the mat's appearance, plus your mats will hold up longer underneath your feet.
- Soft-bristle brush
- Carpet cleaner
Note: A foaming carpet cleaner that can sit for a few minutes on the cloth mat to break up stains before you start scrubbing, and then dries quickly, is an ideal choice.
Project step-by-step (4)
Scrub the Mats
- Spray the carpet cleaner onto the mats, coating them evenly without over-applying.
- You don't want to soak the cloth!
- Using the brush, scrub the cleaner into the cloth until all the cleaner is rubbed away.
- Allow mats to dry.
- For tougher stains, spray additional carpet cleaner onto the stain and let the cleaner sit for several minutes, and then scrub again.
- Repeat as necessary.
- Vacuum the mats again to remove any traces of carpet cleaner or dirt.
- Reinstall the mats in the car.