How to Clean a Toilet in 5 Steps
Kill 99.9 percent of bacteria and viruses weekly with this cleaning method.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
A few minutes
IntroductionNobody likes to clean a toilet. Then again, there's nothing worse than a dirty, nasty, germ-filled toilet. Do these five quick and easy steps weekly for a bacteria-free bathroom.
- Rubber gloves
- Toilet brush
- All-purpose cleaner/disinfectant
- Paper towels
- Toilet bowl cleaner
Project step-by-step (5)
Before You Begin
- Remove anything in your way of cleaning the entire toilet: candles, tissue box, room deodorizer, etc.
- Remove all fabric toilet lid covers and toilet rugs.
Tank and Flush Handle
- With an all-purpose cleaner/disinfectant, start at the top and spray the tank lid, flush handle and exterior of the entire tank. Wipe all surfaces dry with a paper towel.
- Spray the top of the seat lid, then open the lid and spray the inside of the lid as well as the top and bottom of the seat. Spray the area between the seat and the tank, too.
- Wipe all surfaces dry with paper towels.
Bowl Rim and Pedestal
- With the toilet seat up, spray the rim of the toilet bowl and the outside of the pedestal with cleaner/disinfectant.
- Wipe all surfaces dry with paper towels. (Do not discard paper towels in the toilet.)
- Before you start cleaning the bowl, flush the toilet.
- Turn the toilet bowl cleaner upside-down and point the nozzle to the underside of the rim. Squeeze the bottle coating the underside of the entire rim of the toilet bowl with cleaner. Let the cleaner sit in the bowl at least 30 seconds.
- With a toilet brush, scrub the entire bowl including the underside of the rim. Flush the toilet and repeat if necessary.
- Let the water drip off the toilet brush and return the brush to its holder. Dry off the rim of the toilet with a paper towel and close the seat.