The 6 Best Smart Garage Door Openers of 2024
Easily automate your garage door and keep your home secure with the best smart garage door opener models on the market.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Nancy Snyder/Family Handyman
Garage door openers have been handy for decades, but that bulky black box you’ve got clipped to your car’s sun visor is about to get an upgrade. Enter the best smart garage door opener, an integral component of a smart home. Alongside a smart doorbell and a smart security camera, a smart garage door opener is a convenient gadget that makes life easier—and your home more secure.
A smart garage opener connects to your existing garage door and links to your Wi-Fi network or smartphone so you can monitor and access your garage from anywhere. Have you ever driven away from home only to wonder if you closed the garage door? The smart garage door opener solves that issue and closes the garage door from anywhere. You can also easily share access with family members or anyone you trust to visit your home. Some models even let you view your garage through a camera and receive activity alerts.
Here are our top picks for the best smart garage door openers based on price, reliability, compatibility and ease of installation.
The Best Smart Garage Door Openers
- Best Overall: Chamberlain myQ Smart Garage Control
- Best Budget: Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener
- Best Full Replacement: Chamberlain B6753T myQ Smart Garage Door Opener
- Best for Older Garage Doors: Genie Aladdin Connect Garage Door Controller
- Best for Privacy: ismartgate Pro Smart Garage Opener
- Best on Amazon: Chamberlain B1381T Smart Garage Door Opener
Best Overall Smart Garage Door Opener
Chamberlain myQ Smart Garage Control
The Chamberlain myQ Smart Garage Control connects to most garage doors with its smart garage hub and couldn’t be easier to set up. Simply plug it into a wall outlet or smart plug and place the sensor properly. After that, pair it with the app, and you’re good to go. Not only does it set up in minutes, it works like a charm. It tells you in real-time if the doors are open or closed. No more “Did I close the doors before I left?” worries. You can securely provide guest access to up to two additional co-owners and up to five guests via the myQ app. Expecting a delivery? Simply sync the hub with Amazon Key so delivered groceries and packages can be left securely in your garage. It can also prevent garage break-ins.
Senior Shopping Editor, Nancy Snyder, tested and reviewed the Chamberlain myQ Smart Garage Control. She says, “Not only does it take the place of my temperamental garage remote, but it also gives me added security and freedom in controlling my home from anywhere. Set up was incredibly fast and easy, the app is intuitive and user-friendly and it’s extremely affordable. I cannot recommend this product enough.”
- Quick and easy setup (no additional wiring required)
- Operates via smartphone app from anywhere in the world
- Provides real-time notifications when door is open or closed
- Provides access to two additional co-owners and up to five guests
- Automation scheduling available
- Compatible with Amazon Key In-Garage Delivery (where available)
- No geofencing for automatic door opening on approach
- Doesn’t integrate with many smart home platforms
Also, check out these six best Wi-Fi garage door openers to retrofit your old opener.
Best Budget Smart Garage Door Opener
Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener
The Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener is a quality budget model that gives the reliability of a wired connection. It has settings that allow you to schedule when your garage door opens and closes, as well as an auto-close feature that activates after the door has been open for a set amount of time.
The Meross is also compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for easy, hands-free use. To install, simply scan the QR code for setup instructions, then test the system box to know everything is done correctly. For the money, it’s one of the best outdoor smart home devices you can buy.
- Excellent budget model
- Can operate two garage doors
- Extra features ensure you don’t leave the door open
- Works with older garage door systems
- Wired door sensor installation is challenging
Best Full Replacement Smart Garage Door Opener
Chamberlain B6753T myQ Smart Garage Door Opener
If your existing equipment is too old, you might not be able to install a smart garage door opener without replacing the whole unit. If that’s the case, choose the Chamberlain B6753T myQ Smart Garage Door Opener, which includes the opener assembly and a built-in myQ hub. The B6753T has some excellent features that make it more than just a motor with a smart garage hub. It includes a 2,000-lumen light and camera that activates via motion detection and records any happenings in your garage.
“First and foremost, the most noticeable difference is how quiet the Chamberlain operates,” reviewer Tara J. explains. “No more waking up the entire household with a noisy garage door. The smooth and almost silent operation is a welcome change, and it makes coming and going at odd hours much more discreet.”
“The built-in camera is a fantastic addition,” Tara adds. “It provides real-time video of your garage, allowing you to check on things remotely and ensuring peace of mind. The app that accompanies the Chamberlain opener is user-friendly and reliable, making it easy to monitor and control your garage door from anywhere.”
- Built-in myQ hub
- Includes a light and wide-angle camera
- Two-way audio through the camera
- Quiet operation
- Camera recordings require a subscription
Best Smart Garage Door Opener for Older Garage Doors
Genie Aladdin Connect Garage Door Controller
The Genie Aladdin Connect Garage Door Opener has an impressive variety of smart home integration and compatibility options, including Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Additionally, I like that the Genie Aladdin has advanced features such as auto-open and close and the ability to share access with others. It works with up to three garage doors (additional sensors sold separately), thanks to Aladdin’s large three-button panel.
Although installation is fairly involved due to the wired door sensor, the 18-minute instructional video within the Aladdin Connect app walks you through every step of the process. The extra effort is worth it in the long run since the wired setup means more reliable performance with no false errors or inaccurate alerts. Overall, this garage door controller checks all the boxes for smart home integration, reliable performance and compatibility.
- Universal (works with most brands’ garage door openers manufactured after 1993)
- Built-in wall control
- Auto open and close feature
- Clear installation instruction video
- User-friendly app
- Requires about an hour to install
Best Smart Garage Door Opener for Privacy
ismartgate Pro Smart Garage Opener
If privacy is a top concern, the ismartgate Pro is the best choice, as it stores data locally rather than in the cloud. It comes with a premium price tag but delivers a suite of features, including multi-door compatibility with major smart-home platforms—Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, SmartThings and Apple HomeKit. The ismartgate is also designed with interesting bonus features, such as playing a song of your choice when you come home.
You can integrate additional cameras with the system, so if you have more than just a simple single- or multi-door garage, ismartgate has some extra products to cover you from curb to garage. If you like the idea of a fully local system without cloud dependency, the ismartgate’s features could be worth your while.
- Fully local data storage
- Fun, quirky bonus features
- Auto open and close when you approach your home
- Supports three doors with one device
- Challenging to install
Best Smart Garage Door Opener on Amazon
Chamberlain B1381T Garage Door Opener
This whisper-quiet smart garage door opener from Chamberlain features Corner to Corner Lighting—a 100 LED diode system that outputs 3,100 lumens to illuminate every area of your garage. You can also connect to other smart lights in your house so that your entire home is lit up with a welcoming glow when you open your garage door. If you’re worried about waking sleeping kids, the Chamberlain has a super quiet belt drive and a 1-1/4-horsepower (HP) motor, so your garage door—even a heavy insulated steel door—will be super smooth as it lifts and closes.
Beyond how quiet and bright the system is, my favorite feature is that it can open and close your garage door from anywhere with your smartphone through the myQ app. It will also send you real-time notifications if the garage door is left open, providing an extra sense of security. Another key feature is the battery backup, which means you can control your garage door even during power outages.
- Bright LED Corner to Corner Lighting
- Ultra quiet belt drive
- Easy installation
- Battery back-up
- Works with Google Assistant, Wink and Amazon Key for in-garage Amazon deliveries
- Does not work directly with Alexa (but does work via IFTTT or the SimpleCommands app)
What to Look for When Buying a Smart Garage Door Opener
There are a few factors to consider when deciding on the right smart garage door controller for your home.
- Compatibility: Not all smart garage controllers work with all door openers, especially garage door openers manufactured before 1993. You may need to replace the entire unit with a new one in order to use the smart opener. Most brands offer an online tool to confirm compatibility of the smart garage hub with the non-smart opener before purchasing.
- Features: Some smart controllers include cameras that provide live video or saved motion clips. Other models offer wired or wireless sensors that run off of batteries. Wired units are more reliable and less prone to interference but more difficult to install.
- Integration: Consider the integration options with other smart home platforms like Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa or smart home hubs like SmartThings. Some models allow you to link to other smart home devices, such as indoor lighting, so that if you open the garage door at night, the interior smart lights will turn on.
- Security Features: Look for security features such as local data storage vs. cloud storage, rolling code technology and encryption to protect against hacking and unauthorized access to your garage.
- Installation: Some smart garage door openers are DIY-friendly, while others may require professional installation.
- Battery Back-up: Consider a garage door opener with a battery back-up system in case of power outages. This ensures you can still operate the door during emergencies.
- Ease of Use: The smart controller should have a user-friendly app with straightforward navigation. It should allow you to open and close the garage door with a single tap or voice command. Most controllers are designed for DIY installation, so clear instructions can make the process easier. If you have other smart home devices, verify that the controller is compatible with platforms like Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, or Amazon Alexa. Check out our guide on smart home automation.
How We Chose the Best Smart Garage Door Openers
When choosing the best smart garage door openers, I looked for products with glowing customer reviews and examined things like price, compatibility, ease of installation and reliability. The smart garage kits needed to offer scheduling, family sharing and compatibility with more than one smart-home platform. On top of that, they had to feature auto-open and close, simple DIY installation and accurate performance with minimal errors and false alerts. I researched reviews on each smart controller’s responsiveness when opening and closing, as well as the user interface of the app.
Does MyQ have a monthly fee?
MyQ is free for their standard features, such as opening and closing the garage door via the app, checking the status of the garage door and automation scheduling. Other free features include smart-home integration with Amazon’s Key in-garage delivery, Apple HomeKit and Ring doorbell camera integration. There is a charge for “premium integration”, which covers connecting to a Tesla, support for multiple cameras, people detection or saved video history of motion events. The premium level pairs myQ with IFTTT, opening up possibilities like controlling a garage door with Alexa or turning off/on a Wyze camera.
Can you make an existing garage door opener smart?
Most garage openers can be easily turned into a smart garage door with an add-on controller that connects to your Wi-Fi network so you can secure your garage from thieves. If your garage opener is older, you may need to replace it with a smart opener and door sensors from makers such as Chamberlain or LiftMaster. The manufacturer’s app will walk you through the steps to add the device to your Wi-Fi and perform a DIY installation.
Are smart home garage door openers safe?
Smart garage door openers come with protections to prevent potential hacks including data encryption and password-protected access. There are also units that save data locally rather than on the cloud. Looking for more privacy tips? Read our guide to prevent your smart home from being hacked.
Will my smart garage door opener work if the power goes out?
Garage door openers run on electricity and will not work in the case of a power outage unless you have a model like the Chamberlain B1381 Garage Door Opener, which has a battery back-up.