• Share:
Replacing a Rotted Floor Under the Toilet

Minor wood rot around a toilet flange doesn’t always mean you have to replace the subfloor. Solve the problem with a metal flange support instead.

By the DIY experts of The Family Handyman Magazine

Install the flange support

If only the area directly below the flange is rotted, you can install a two-piece steel closet flange support. It goes under the flange and transfers the load of the flange and toilet (and you) out onto more solid surrounding wood. But if your floor is severely rotted, say more than an inch beyond the flange, you're stuck replacing the flooring around the toilet.

Flange supports are available at home centers and plumbing supply stores for either cast iron, plastic or brass flanges.

Back to Top

Required Tools for this Project

Have the necessary tools for this DIY project lined up before you start—you’ll save time and frustration.

    • 4-in-1 screwdriver
    • Adjustable wrench
    • Corded drill
    • Drill bit set
    • Rags

Required Materials for this Project

Avoid last-minute shopping trips by having all your materials ready ahead of time. Here's a list.

    • Metal flange support
    • Stainless Steel screws
    • Wax ring

Comments from DIY Community Members

Share what's on your mind and see what other DIYers are thinking about.

1 - 1 of 1 comments
Show per page: 20   All

September 05, 8:08 PM [GMT -5]

This works if the damage is minor and the toilet base is the correct distance from the closet flange for the wax ring to make an effective seal. If the subfloor has rotted from water leaking from the base of the toilet it is likely that the distance from the base of the toilet to the closet flange is not correct and this also should be addressed in the repair.

Alternately if the subfloor has a second layer of flooring that was put in place to raise the surface of the bath floor with the linoleum to sit flush with the adjacent carpeted areas of the home, then this layer can be removed (most easily with a 4" right angle grinder and a $15 diamond cutting disc (see blog on holepro website).

If you know in advance the amount of gap to correct you can special order a spacer of the correct thickness. The other option is to buy four or five plastic spacers from the local building supply store and use adhesive caulk between each layer or you can cut a wood donut of our a piece of exterior grade plywood and use that as a spacer to build up the floor so that the closet flange sits proud to the linoleum. This last approach works well if the linoleum has been replaced with much thicker floor tiles.

+ Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Replacing a Rotted Floor Under the Toilet

Please add your comment

Log in to My Account

Log in to enjoy membership benefits from The Family Handyman.

  • Forgot your password?
Don’t have an account yet?

Sign up today for FREE and become part of The Family Handyman community of DIYers.

Member benefits:

  • Get a FREE Traditional Bookcase Project Plan
  • Sign up for FREE DIY newsletters
  • Save projects to your project binder
  • Ask and answer questions in our DIY Forums
  • Share comments on DIY Projects and more!
Join Us Today

Report Abuse

Reasons for reporting post

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us