7 Best Organic Weed Killers That Are Safe for the Yard
Ready to make the switch to an organic weed killer that's safe for the environment, your family and your pets? We've got you covered.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
How To Choose An Organic Weed Killer
Choosing an organic weed killer is one of the most effective, natural ways of getting rid of weeds from your lawn, garden and outdoor space.
Killing weeds is a yard maintenance task you don’t want to neglect, and the best organic weed killers are made without toxic chemicals like glyphosate. Instead, they feature natural ingredients like vinegar, essential oils or an herbicidal soap solution.
While there are multiple ways to learn how to eliminate weeds, employing a weed killer that’s safe for use around kids, pets and outdoor vegetation is a game changer.
How We Chose The Best Organic Weed Killers
We based our picks on user reviews, overall ease of use and what types of outdoor surfaces each product is best for. We also paid close attention to pet-friendly formulas.
Best Overall Organic Weed Killer
Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed and Grass Killer
According to the manufacturer, Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed Killer can eliminate any type of common weed in less than 24 hours. It’s made from ethanol distilled from corn grain and contains 20 percent acetic acid, making it four times more effective than traditional table vinegar.
There are no toxic chemicals in this formula, which removes weeds from various outdoor surfaces including driveways, sidewalks and mulch beds. More 10,000 Amazon reviewers cited it for its affordable price and fast-acting, effective weed killing.
“This is the only product we use for killing weeds!” writes verified Amazon reviewer Rita. “Natural and organic … and kills weeds within a day. Plus, you can dilute to 10 percent from the 20 percent vinegar to stretch it out!”
- Ready to use spray container;
- Free of toxic chemicals like glyphosate, sulfates, bleach or fluorine;
- Effectively removes weeds from multiple outdoor surfaces;
- Affordable price point;
- Thirty-day money back guarantee.
- Some reviewers found this solution requires consistent use to fully remove stubborn weeds.
Best Budget Organic Weed Killer
Sunday Weed Warrior Non-Selective Herbicide
A budget-friendly product, Sunday Weed Warrior is an effective yet affordable organic weed killer. It uses herbicidal soap to kill weeds, mosses, grasses and algae without leaving a stain. Just be careful around lawns and turf as it will kill just about any greenery it touches. Simply point, shoot and watch unwanted weeds wilt.
- Affordable price;
- Includes spray attachment;
- Works within 20 minutes of use;
- Made with organic herbicidal soap that’s free of harsh chemicals;
- Not safe for use near or on lawns.
Best Splurge Organic Weed Killer
Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed Killer
What sets the Doctor Kirchner Natural Weed Killer solution apart? It’s made from ocean water, vinegar and soap. Reviewers love how it make weeds wither and turn brown in a few hours, without harmful chemicals.
“We mainly use it on the rocks in our landscaping when weeds pop up around our bushes and flowers,” says one verified Amazon reviewer. “Within a half hour, the weed is shriveled. By morning, the weed actually seemed to disintegrate into the rock. I could hardly even see it.
“Normally, we have to go back and pull up all the dead weeds after using the Roundup. I don’t have to do anything after spraying. It’s awesome!”
- Commercial strength vinegar and soap solution;
- Safe for flower beds, plants, shrubs and trees;
- Pet- and environmental-friendly.
- Doesn’t come with a spray attachment or bottle, so you’ll need to pour the solution into a garden pump or backpack sprayer;
- The smallest size available is a two-pack of one-gallon jugs.
Best Pet-Friendly Organic Weed Killer
Natural Armor Weed and Grass Killer
Natural Armor Weed and Grass Killer is an all-natural concentrated formula that works on 250-plus types of weeds and grasses. It’s safe on nearly all outdoor surfaces where weeds are present like flower beds, shrubs, trees, driveways, patios.
The ready-to-use product requires no mixing or diluting. Simply spray and watch the weeds wither. For best results, use during sunny hours.
“I wish I took before and after photos because it was truly impressive how well this product worked,” writes verified Amazon reviewer Terri.
“We had a few different kinds of weeds sprout up in our backyard and we were sick of spending tons of time pulling them out one by one. I didn’t want to use any big brand sprays with fear that our dogs may get sick. I sprayed this on the weeds and saw a difference within a few hours.”
- Free of toxic chemicals like glyphosate;
- No pouring, mixing or diluting necessary;
- Includes trigger sprayer;
- Thirty-day money back guarantee.
- Some reviewers found that the scent lingers for a few hours after use;
- Some reviewers found the trigger spray attachment doesn’t work well, so they transfered the solution to a different spray bottle.
Best Organic Weed Killer for Lawns
Espoma Weed Preventer Plus Lawn Food
Feed your lawn while also killing weeds with Espoma Organic Weed Preventer. Made from pure corn gluten meal, it’s safe for children and pets. We like that this product prevents weeds from growing while keeping lawns healthy and green.
All it takes is two applications per year for this organic weed killer to work its magic. This is one of the best lawn care products you need this spring.
- Prevents weeds from growing rather than killing at the source;
- Acts as lawn food;
- Easy to spread;
- Requires two applications per year;
- Safe for pets and kids to play in grass after it’s applied.
- Only works on lawns and large grassy areas.
Best Organic Weed Killer for Gardening
BioSafe Weed Control
As an organic-certified herbicide, BioSafe Weed Control quickly kills annual and perennial broadleaf weeds and grasses. We recommend product for gardeners because it doesn’t leave residue and you can plant less than a week after it’s applied.
- Safe around walkways, flower beds and landscaping;
- Destroys weeds within hours;
- Water-soluble herbicide;
- Doesn’t leave residue;
- Safe around pets.
- Expensive at $128.
Best Smelling Organic Weed Killer
EcoSmart Natural Weed and Grass Killer
Made with a blend of essential plant oils, EcoSmart Natural Weed and Grass Killer features a glyphosate-free formula that leaves outdoor spaces smelling fresh. It’s safe around pets and kids, and effectively kills weeds on or around patios, fences, driveways, walkways and concrete. It comes in a spray bottle, no mixing or diluting required.
- Fresh smelling, essential oils scent;
- Affordable price;
- Ready-to-use formula.
- Some reviewers found this solution takes multiple applications to thoroughly kill weeds;
- Includes 24-ounce spray bottle that’s best for spot treatments and small areas.
Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.