With just a couple hours, some 1×4, 1/4-in. plywood, some plexiglas, and a cheap LED light strip, you can build a super-useful light box for tracing and art projects. Let’s get started!
- 1×4 board (8 ft.)
- ¼-in. Plywood (2 x 4 ft.)
- Frosted Plexiglas (18 x 24 in.)
- Plug-In LED Tape Light (10 ft.)
- Foil Tape
Cut Your Parts
1. Cut 3/8-in. dadoes into 1×4 stock, ¼-in. from each edge.
2. Cut the 1×4 board into two 24-3/4-in.-long boards and two 17-1/4-in. long boards. Cut the ¼-in. plywood to 18×24 in.
3. Attach the foil tape to the interior of the side boards and plywood.
4. Drill a ½-in. hole, 2 in. from the end of one of the long sides, to feed the power cord out.
Put Everything Together
5. Assemble three sides of the box with the plywood in place and fasten it together with screws.
6. Tape down the LED lights to the plywood bottom and feed the end through the ½-in. hole in the side.
7. Slide in the frosted glass and fasten the last side with screws. Start tracing!