Build the cart
Keep it together
You can all of your tools, materials and accessories together.
Build this mobile home for your small air compressor and roll it to any job, anywhere in the shop, house or yard! The built-in air hose reel and tool bin keep your whole air-powered tool operation together. Measure your compressor before building. You may have to alter the dimensions so yours will fit.
Cut out the plywood parts with a circular saw or a table saw and a jigsaw for the curves. Bore the 1-1/4-in. dowel holes before assembling the cart. Mount casters to the underside of the base with lag screws, then mark and drill holes in the crosspiece for the hose reel and bolt it on. That’s it! Organize nail guns, nail packs, nail gun oil and tire inflation accessories in the handy tool pockets and you’re ready to roll. Our thanks to Phil Mason for this design.
Compressor Cart Plans
Use these dimensions as a guide, but measure your air compressor and make adjustments as necessary.
Required Tools for this Project
Have the necessary tools for this DIY project lined up before you start—you’ll save time and frustration.
- Circular saw
- Drill/driver - cordless
Required Materials for this Project
Avoid last-minute shopping trips by having all your materials ready ahead of time. Here’s a list.
- Eight 5/16-in. x 1-in. lag screws
- One 1-1/4-in. closet dowel
- One 2-ft. x 4-ft. sheet of 1/2-in. plywood
- One air hose reel ($37; part no. 159184 at northerntool.com)
- Six 3/8-in. x 2-in. hex head bolts, nuts and washers
- Two 2-ft. x 4-ft. sheets of 3/4-in. plywood ($8 each at a home center)
- Two 4-in. casters ($8 each at a home center)