Versatile Storage Shelf
This towel storage shelf is a cute and colorful way to display your towels. It’s constructed of select pine boards and trimmed with dock rope cleats. The rope cleats add an interesting touch and serve the purpose of holding the towels neatly on the shelf.
Materials Needed to Make This Towel Storage Shelf
- One 1″ x 6″ x 8′ Select Pine board
- One 1″ x 6″ x 4′ Select Pine board (We used Select Pine because it is very straight and knot free.)
- Alternatives: You could use old barn wood* or cedar for a more rustic look or composite deck boards for weatherproof durability outdoors near a lake home, pool or hot tub.
- 12 1-1/2″ Spax #14 construction screws (These have a head large enough to hold the cleat.)
- Six 6″ dock rope cleats
- One sheet of 220-grit sandpaper
- Stain or paint (We used Minwax Wood Finish color: 218A puritan pine.)
- Staining brush or rag
- 18 #6 1-5/8″ drywall screws for connecting shelves to support board
- Optional: 3/8″ x 15′ polypropylene dock line or other rope