Things You Shouldn’t Own If You Have a Cat
Keep your cat safe and keep these things out of your house.
Cats like to play with string toys and yarn might be a good, cheap toy, but it’s not. It can present a choking hazard and damage their intestines if swallowed. Set your cat up with some of this high-end cat furniture.
Kittens will be tempted to play with electrical wires and have a tendency to gnaw on them. But there’s one thing you can do to prevent that. Try placing split flexible plastic conduit over wires. Check out more pet cleaning tips you should know.
Himalayan Salt Lamps
Himalayan salt lamps caught on because of their reported health benefits but they’re not real beneficial for cats who have been known to lick them. But cats are especially susceptible to salt poisoning and the salt lamps can cause diarrhea, seizures, lethargy and even death. Try these tips to keep your cat from scratching your furniture.
Bones can be tough for cats to digest and become a choking hazard due to unusual sizes. Keep your cat off the counter and minimize the chances it’ll eat something it shouldn’t.
Kittens can get caught in mini blinds and hurt themselves if you don’t discourage them from walking near them. Keep your mini blinds looking new with these tips and fixes.
Treated Toilet Water
Cats will try to drink water from the toilet so it’s important that your tank doesn’t have cleaner cake inside because it can be deadly if they consume water from a toilet with a cleaning cake. Clean a bathroom faster with these 13 genius tips.
An aloe vera plant at home might be nice for you personally but it’s a potential disaster to a cat. It’ll induce vomiting and diarrhea if a cat consumes it. See more plants that are actually toxic for your pet.
Flowers and Plants
While they may be pretty, lilies are one of the most poisonous plants for cats. Petside suggests keeping them out of the house (or better yet, purchase artificial flowers). Be aware of symptoms of lily poisoning which include vomiting, lethargy, and loss of appetite. Call your vet as soon as possible if you think your pet has ingested lily. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says that without immediate care, cats who eat lily may develop life-threatening kidney failure within 36 to 72 hours of ingestion. (By the way, here are 50 secrets your pet wishes they could tell you.)
Amazon / Baker Boutique
Chances are you don’t often have unbaked bread dough around the house but if you bake from time to time, it’s best to keep the bread dough out of reach. Even a little raw bread dough will expand once consumed and can kill a pet. Keep your kitchen clean with this kitchen cleaning checklist.
Liquid potpourri is hazardous to cats when ingested because it can damage their esophagus. Liquid potpourris can burn the skin and mouths of cats and they lack some of the liver enzymes to metabolize liquid potpourri. These 20 things in your home may be a fire hazard.