Technology in the home is now more efficient than ever before. Not too long ago, inefficient, antiquated modes of control, like having to change the TV channel manually, or go around the house to individually turn on/off every light, was normal. Today, using a home automation system makes home life almost button and switch free. So, how do Control4 systems play a part?
What Exactly is Control4?
Instead of being a product or technology company, Control4 is a provider of automation and networking systems for homes and businesses. The lifestyle company offers a personalized and unified smart home system that allows you to automate and control connected devices like lighting, audio, video, climate control, intercom and security.
Inter-operating with more than 13,500 third-party products, and available in over 100 countries, Control4 systems are designed to make the products and systems you already have in your home work together. The company integrates everything, product by product, to make your home smarter, including lighting control, speakers, home theater, thermostats, cameras, smartphones and tablets, etc.
Who is Control4 Best For?
You don’t have to have a ton of home automation products to consider Control4. You can start small by automating one room, such as, the family room. However, if you’ve already begun to set up your entire home with devices, go for whole-home automation!
How Much Does a Control4 System Cost?
It’s difficult to put an exact price tag on cost, upfront, but the smaller your home, the less expensive it will be to automate, since it requires a smaller network and fewer interfaces and connected devices. Here are a couple examples to give you a better idea of the cost of Control4 systems.
- A single-room Control4 controller requires a single EA-1 controller, Control4 remote and a charging station to control, for example, a home theater system and audio systems. According to Control4 dealer Audio Den, this will likely cost around $1,500 without installation.
- A three to four bedroom home, considered a larger system, is capable of providing audio streaming to six to eight rooms, video and device control to four rooms, and smart device control in a single interface. Depending on features in each room, along with the type of equipment you choose, this could cost $20,000.
While these numbers may seem outrageous, Audio Den explains, “Because the sky is the limit with home automation, it is entirely possible to invest a significant amount of money. But is a large initial investment required? Not at all. Control4 offers options that can get you up and running with an automation solution for what it would cost to install a new HDTV. You can then enhance your system as your needs and budget allow.”
What are the Capabilities of a Control4 System?
Control4 consists of many different capabilities to connect your home. The following are the most basic used in a typical residential installation.
- Controllers are the brain of the system, coordinating and managing all of the installed components. When you make commands from your smartphone, tablet, using voice control for Amazon Alexa, or via a handheld remote, the controller is what interprets such commands.
- The user interface is your guide to controlling the entire system. Its interface is designed for simplicity, offering large icons for each category. You can access real-time status reports on a variety of user interfaces, including the screen of a smartphone, tablet, TV, or touch screen, and can respond immediately. For instance, program your system so that one button in your living room turns on/off the TV, lights and other entertainment devices.
- Whole house music allows you to play different streams of music throughout your home in any particular grouping. Control4 works with Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Napster, Deezer, Spotify, Qobuz and Tidal.
- Networking is another capability of the Control4 system. Enterprise-level wired and wireless networks are necessary to provide ideal home automation performance.
- Lighting is one of the most sought-after home automation capabilities. Control4 allows you to control all the lights in your home from any device with a touch of the screen.
- Security for the Control4 system supports cameras, camera DVRs and electronic door locks.
- A whole house intercom is another capability of Control4. The system’s panels have full video intercom systems built in. Control4’s wall and tabletop panels double as doorbell interfaces, as well.
- Alexa voice control is a popular addition to smart homes today. Control4 has basic integrations with Alexa, allowing you to program them to react to basic voice commands like turning lights on and off.
- Thermostats and automatic blinds are capabilities of the Control4 that provide energy efficiency and climate control.