That old window frame or door may work for a craft project, but beware of lead. Lead paint is a hazard when it is scraped off and ingested or inhaled. To be safe, avoid construction materials at thrift stores or invest in a DIY lead paint test kit which will give you results in minutes. You can find a DIY test kit for less than $40.
Avoid old dishware such as vintage serving bowls, platters and tea cups. They may look pretty but these old dishes may also contain unsafe substances that can be harmful if ingested. To be safe, spring for new pieces or use the pretty vintage dishware for display only.
Photo: Happy Moments/Shutterstock