How to Silence a Squeaking Hinge
Time-tested, non-toxic remedy
IntroductionWhen a door hinge develops a squeak due to wear or settling, instead of reaching for a messy spray lubricant, try this traditional, non-toxic, non-staining lubricant.
- 8d finish nail
- Petroleum jelly
If you’ve got a door hinge that squeals every time you open the door, we’ve got the fix for you. A little petroleum jelly will rid the hinge of that annoying squeak. The petroleum jelly works its way into the hinge and adheres well, so it won’t run off and make a mess like oil or other lubricants.
Project step-by-step (2)
Tap Pin Up
- Loosen each hinge pin by tapping an 8d nail up from underneath.
- Once the pin is loose, pull it out (lift up on the door handle to relieve pressure if the pin binds).
- Keep the door closed and work on only one hinge at a time.
Lubricate the Pin
- Lightly coat the hinge pin with petroleum jelly
- Dab a little in the top of the pin slot.
- Reinsert the pin and wipe off any excess.
- Open and close the door a few times to work the petroleum jelly into the hinge joints.