Churn out professional-looking signs fast! Here’s how:
- Shape and sand the sign board.
- Cover the sign board with strips of 2-in. wide masking tape, overlapping each strip 1/8 in. Press the tape down ﬁrmly to remove air bubbles.
- Trace or draw the letters or ﬁgures onto the masking tape.
- Carefully rout the sign freehand with a cove-box bit; 1/2-in. or larger bits work well. Rout in two passes—shallow, then deeper—to better clear tape from the groove.
- Vacuum the dust from the grooves and face of the sign, then run your finger in each groove to gently lift up the frayed edges of the tape so the spray paint will coat the entire groove.
- Spray-paint the grooves with at least three coats. If a little paint leaks under the tape, wait until it’s dry, then sand it off in seconds with a power sander.
- When the paint is dry, pull off the tape and hang out your shingle!
Hawaiian tipster Rod Mones can say aloha to $100 for sending us this great tip!