Stuff We Love: Headlamps
Don't get caught fumbling around in the dark. Maximize your night vision with one of these formidable little lights.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Whether setting up camp in the dark or fixing that drip under the kitchen sink, nothing rivals a reliable headlamp as a light source. Today on Stuff We Love we’ll show you three amazing headlamps that will never leave you in the dark. See the video where I discuss and demonstrate these powerful little lights, and then read on for more on how they excel in so many ways.
GoPro Zeus Mini
Compact and versatile, this Zeus Mini is ideal for projects, outdoor adventures and more. Built tough and waterproof, you can clip it to a baseball hat, pack strap, workbench or any fixed object. Its other great features include:
- An internal magnet on a clip attaches to metal surfaces, so it’s great for automotive applications;
- A flexible 360-degree swivel on the mount that lets you easily adjust the lighting angle;
- Four levels of brightness, the highest 200 lumens;
- A built-in rechargeable battery with up to six hours of runtime on low and one hour on Level Three;
- Strobe mode for emergency signaling and visibility.
If you’re already a GoPro camera user you’ll want this portable mini light. It attaches to GoPro’s chest-strap and helmet mounts, making it an ideal accessory to pack with your camera rig. Even if you don’t have one of GoPro’s popular action cameras, this is a portable and capable mini light to keep in your pack or toolbox.
*The GoPro Zeus will also soon be available at Best Buy.
Coast FL60R 450 Lumens
If you need optimal light for a large area, this Coast FL60R is the best choice. Its wide-angle flood beam provides a quality consistent light to either edge of the beam. Other features include:
- A reflective head strap to ensure user visibility in low light;
- Hinged tilting head beam adjustment;
- Easy to operate button control for high, medium and low settings;
- Light output: 450 lumens on high, 55 lumens on low;
- Beam distance: 33 m (high), 12 m (low);
- Runtime: Almost 2 1/2 hours on high, 10 hours on low.
What we love about this light is its Flex-Charge feature. You can use 3 AAA batteries or the lithium ion battery pack which can be recharged via a USB cable inside or outside the light. Coast designed these lights with the working professional and hardcore sportsmen in mind, so they can take a lot of abuse yet still shine brightly well into the night.
HeadSpin Light Kit
This Headspin Light kit is one of the most versatile systems available. Its connection mechanism lets you use the light in multiple ways. The kit comes these options for mounting the light:
- Adjustable headlamp strap mount;
- Rail mount for bikes, trucks, paddles or poles;
- Flashlight mount for handheld use;
- Plug-in wall dock mount for charging (it also has a mini USB port).
The functionality of this system is amazing, but the best part is the light itself:
- Four settings, with a maximum of 400 lumens;
- Spot mode and flood mode for a focused or wide-angle beam;
- Strobe mode, great for safety, especially when mounted on a bike;
- Low setting can yield 40 hours of runtime. On a medium setting, expect four to eight hours.
This is a terrific system built tough for outdoor use. It comes in a rugged portable case to safely stow in your truck, camper, backpack or boat. If you’re looking for one light that can do it all, this one will for sure make your head spin.