This floating beam is so wrong! There’s no sense installing a beam that’s not supported by a post. But that’s what this deck builder did. Maybe the builder assumed that attaching the beam to the end of another beam would do the trick.
The Right Way
Splices in beams should be supported by a post or structural column of some sort. The post or column should rest on a foot-ing that meets local building code requirements. And the beams should be connected to the post with an approved metal connector. Beams should be supported by at least 1 in. of solid wood over posts. Plus: Learn how to make structural repairs by sistering floor joists.
Deck Board Spacers
Choosing Deck Materials
Best Way to Flash a Ledger Board
- Install house wrap on the wall several inches higher than where the top of the ledger board will be.
- Install Z-flashing approved for pressure-treated lumber where the bottom of the ledger will be.
- Cover the top of the Z-flashing with house wrap tape.
- Fasten the ledger board over the Z-flashing.
- Install flashing approved for pressure-treated lumber on top of the ledger.
- Cover the top of the flashing with window/door flashing tape.
- Install house wrap over the flashing.
- Fasten the house wrap to the wall with house wrap tape.
- Install the siding.