How to Set Up Your Amazon Echo
The first thing you’ll want to do for your Amazon Echo setup is grab your smartphone, download the Alexa app in the app store and then open it up.
Smart devices are meant to make your life easier, but the setup process can prove frustrating! As life gets more high-tech, do you find yourself struggling to keep up? If you were recently gifted, or chose to purchase, the Amazon Echo, you may be intimidated by it—it looks simple, but is it? Yes, and don’t worry, here are clear, concise instructions on the Amazon Echo setup that will get you using and loving your smart gadget in no time. Be sure to check out these 10 weird things your Alexa is capable of!
How Long Does it Take to Set Up Amazon Echo?
Expect the entire Amazon Echo setup process to take less than five minutes.
Download the Amazon Echo App
- Download the app in the app store. You can also download it on your tablet with iOS 9.0 or higher, Android 5.0 or higher or Fire OS 3.0 or higher.
- Sign in or Setup an Amazon account
- Input your first and last name
- Give Amazon permissions for contacts and notifications
- Tap Allow
- Tap Ok
- Tap Allow
- Verify your phone number or skip
- You’ll be taken to the home section of the app
Plug in Amazon Echo
From here, plug the included power adapter directly into the Echo and insert the other end into a power outlet.
The light will first turn blue. That means the power is connected. It will then turn orange, which means Alexa is preparing to greet you. Once you hear Alexa’s voice telling you the device is ready for setup, you can move on.
- Plug in your Amazon Echo
- Tap the devices button at the bottom right
- Tap the + symbol at the top right
- Tap “Add Device”
- Tap “Amazon Echo”
- Tap the type of Amazon Echo you own
- Wait for your Amazon Echo to display an orange ring (it may take a minute)
- Tap “yes” if it appears or “no” if it hasn’t shown up yet
- If you tapped no, hold down the button with a “.” In the middle until the orange light appears
- Select your Amazon Echo device that appears on the list
- Select your Wi-Fi network: The newest version of the Echo Dot does a great job of guiding you through the process of linking your Wi-Fi network to the device, but should you get stuck, all you need to do is open up the Alexa app, search the available networks and select yours. Be sure you click on your Echo device in the menu. Beneath the ‘Wireless’ heading, you’ll be able to see that you’re connected to your Wi-Fi network.
- Choose the room where your Amazon Echo is
- You can watch the introductory video or select skip
Create a Voice Profile
- Amazon will invite you to create a voice profile.
- Tap “create voice profile”
- Tap continue
- Tap “Ok” to allow use of microphone
- Follow the four prompts and you’re all set
Now the fun part begins! Go to the Alexa app menu and get to know the two sections called ‘Skills & Games’ and ‘Things to Try.’ These are your guides to all things Alexa and what the device is capable of, Alexa can even power your microwave. You’ll learn how to make to-do lists, send text messages and much, much more. Here are 20 amazing Alexa hacks all homeowners should know and things you shouldn’t ask Alexa.
Where to Place Amazon Echo
The best place for an Amazon Echo is a ceiling because it will best capture your voice. But be sure to place it away from windows because anyone nearby could potentially access your Echo from outside. Other good spots for an Amazon Echo include a beside table, edge of a kitchen counter, as well as a mantle or shelf.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.