How to Loosen a Stuck Jar
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.
Don’t turn red in the face trying to open a jar. These how to open a stuck jar tips will make the how process simpler.
Trying to open a stuck jar can be one of the most frustrating things in the kitchen and there are several ways people will try to open a stuck jar, but what’s the best way to open a stuck jar?
- Act Like You’re in a World’s Strongest Man Competition —You might not look like The Mountain from Game of Thrones but you’ll feel like him if you can get the lid to turn on the jar.
- Ask For Help — Help in this instance is grabbing a towel and wrapping it around the lid for more grip. Some people will get the towel wet but sometimes that doesn’t help things.
- Break the Seal — If you can get the seal to break, it can make opening the jar easier. You can break the seal by using a bottle opener. Do you know these 10 ways to open a beer bottle without a bottle opener?
- Run it Under Hot Water — The thought is the heat from the water will cause the metal to expand and make loosening the jar easier.
- Tap on the Lid With the Back End of a Knife — If you hit the lid with the back of a knife at four points, across from each other, it can loosen the jar and allow you to open it.
- Turn it Upside Down and Pat it —Sometimes if you turn a jar upside down and give a good pat, the lid will loosen up.
- Jar-Opening Tool — You can either buy a jar-opener, like this automatic jar-opener, or convert an old tennis ball into one.
Bonus tip: Hang on to an old mouse pad to get a grip.