How to Get Slime Out of Carpet
It might take some elbow grease and patience, but don't worry you can get slime out of your carpet!
How to remove slime from carpet
If you or your little one love slime, you’re bound to make a few messes with it. And it creates a wreck in your carpet fibers. But don’t worry, slime is primarily made up of glue and the majority of glue is washable. Plain old white vinegar will get slime out of just about everything. It might take some elbow grease and patience, but you can get slime out of your carpet! Plus, check out our secret cleaning tips from the pros.
Watch this video tutorial for how to get slime out of carpet:
Note: Always make sure you spot test the white vinegar on your carpet before using it to remove the slime.
First things first, is the slime wet or dry?
Clean up a slime stain as soon as you notice it. The longer it has to set in, the harder it is to get out. If your slime is wet, remove as much slime as you can with your hands and follow the steps below. If the slime is dry, use ice to freeze the slime and follow the “how to get dried slime out of carpet” steps below.
How to get wet slime out of carpet:
- Remove as much of the slime out of the carpet as you can with your fingers. The more you can remove with your hands the better. You can also use a spoon to gently scrape away as much slime as you can.
- Mix 2/3 cup white vinegar with 1/3 water and put it into a spray bottle.
- Spray the white vinegar mixture on the remaining slime. Allow it to soak in. You should immediately start to see the slime dissolve.
- Use a scrub brush to work the mixture into the carpet. The slime will start to soften and break loose.
- Blot the slime spot with a white cloth to remove some of the spray mixture and then repeat with more spray and blotting until the slime is gone.
- Use a wet/dry vac to vacuum up the excess liquid.
- If after using the white vinegar mixture your carpet is stained from the slime coloring, you can use OxiClean to remove the color stain from the carpet.
How to get dried slime out of carpet:
As soon as you see the dried slime on the carpet you’re going to want to get it out. Letting it sit longer will only make it harder to remove.
- If you cannot get the dried slime out with your hands, apply ice on top of the dried slime stain spot.
- Let the ice sit for 10 minutes or until the slime is frozen.
- Once the slime is frozen, pick, break or gently scrape the slime out of the carpet.
- To remove the remaining slime, follow the how-to remove wet slime steps above.
Admit it—your house could be cleaner. That’s where we come in. Check out these cleaning tips and hints to make your house shine and keep it that way.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.