How to Design and Install Whole Home Lighting
Complement natural light with a flexible design.
Illumination by Design
Our lighting priorities for the Getaway were as clear as LEDs. We wanted ample light for the deck and the entry doors. We also wanted to control interior lighting zones to illuminate everything from a big get-together to a quiet evening for two.
For a project of this size, we needed guidance. Monique Spearing of Kichler Lighting helped us meet our needs and budget.
- With all lighting projects, a simple plan can be invaluable.
- We placed three-way switches at convenient locations.
- Place pendants 30 inches above the island.
- The six-inch round LED downlights disperse in broad patterns to fill a space. Pendants create a focal point for task lighting. Lamps add individual style and shine light closer to you.
In the main bedroom, we bent the rules and chose pendant lights for bedside lamps. These rustic pendant lights from Kichler enhanced the northern Wisconsin vibe.
- Dimmers allow you to establish multiple zones with convenient control.
- A well-placed three-way switch means we can control lights from bed.
- Ample natural light gave us more creative freedom for the interior lighting scheme.
- Forty-eight inches of space between ceiling lights provides even light dispersion.