Sliding drawer extensions come with an assembly for the left side and the right side of the drawer. Do I need to buy two sets of extensions so that I have two "right side" assemblies?

We bought a foreclosure house a little over a year ago and down-sized. The new place has a two car garage, but has 3' of space on both sides. Most of us don't have basements in Arizona, so this project was just what I needed. I didn't build the table saw portion, but I store my small table saw under the bench at the end. I shortened it to 15', but did add the part for my chop saw. I put together my own cabinets, but even with the modifications, you would recognize it from the plan pics. It is very sturdy, and the fold-down part of the bench allows me to park both cars in the garage! Nice plans, Family Handyman!

Great bench, easy plans, very sturdy. Didn't do the table saw mount but did everything else. Now I moved and need to find a DIY bench to fit my new garage.

December 04, 9:40 AM [GMT -5]

Planning on building this project but didn't find a cut list so I made one.

in inches

3/4 ply 24 x 68 3/4 1
93 1/2 x 24 1
5 3/4 x 24 1
21 x 96 1
21 x 48 1

1.5 x 1.5 96 1

If anyone sees a problem lmk

I had been drooling over this workbench for about six months before I finally had the garage space to build it. I deleted the tablesaw module because it seemed to low to be comfortable. The whole project cost me approximately $225 (good 3/4" plywood was about $30 each) and took me about 14-16 hours to complete. I saw a couple comments below that I would've found answers helpful before I started the project. 1) I got the Liberty 22" full extension drawer sliders at Home Depot. 2) As for ripping a 2x4 in half to create 2 boards w/ a 45 degree angle on it - I just took the length of 2x4 that I needed and snapped a caulk line at 1 3/4" (half of 3 1/2") adjusted my circular saw to 45 degrees and cut. That gave me enough meat to the 2x4 so when I attached it to the bench it would split. The plan is nice and easy to follow just make sure if your building it by yourself to have 1 or 2 decent clamps. Fun project for sure!

This looks like it takes up more space than individual stands for items. It's a hodge-podge of pieces that would create a bigger mess than usual.

November 24, 8:53 AM [GMT -5]

I want to share my photos of this project with other diyers. Please advise.

March 26, 8:15 AM [GMT -5]

I slightly modified this plan to accomodate my work area in the basement, only took a couple of days and it turned out great.

March 26, 8:15 AM [GMT -5]

I got this in an email, and couldn't start soon enough. Of course I didn't do it exactly like yours, but used a lot of your ideas. Once I'm done maybe I'll send some pics. My shop has never been so awesome, and I've had it for 6 years

Nice workbench. However why not just spend 15-30 bucks (if you want the DVD) and buy Norm's workbench plan complete with chop saw area and stops with cabinetry and drawers. It might take more material in sheet goods but its strong and versatile and the plan is VERY easy to follow. The modular concept and foldouts are very good though. Should be a good project to build.

March 02, 12:45 AM [GMT -5]

I found the materials list, it is listed under print options and is the last listing. This isn't very user friendly when you have to "hunt" for the list. It should have been printed when it says Tools and Materials. Somebody goofed.

March 02, 12:38 AM [GMT -5]

No materials list offered, even when you click the tab for materials list.

I'm ready to start, but I need the materials list.

Where is the "additional information" located so I can see the materials list?

March 01, 11:47 AM [GMT -5]

I could not download a materials list. What size of plywood do I buy. How much?
Type of slider drawer hardware, poundage etc.
2 x 4's or othr lumber

I built this workbench, with some slight modifications, nearly ten years ago in a little more than a weekend. I liked it so much I took it apart and brought it with me to my new house. It gives you a working area when you need and free space when you don't.

I built some workbenches using this plan, although I made some modifications. My chop saw table is free standing in my shop, and is 8' long. I also have a rolling 6' bench that I made previously, and it is at the same height as the chop saw bench to give me extensions when needed.
The rest of the bench is along the wall and measures about 22' long, which includes a stack of tool boxes. I completed all of the benches in sections, each starting at 8' long (length of standard studs). This made it easier to install.
I omitted the table saw feature, because the saw would be too darn low. Look at the pic, the guy is bent way over while sawing, not comfortable. I also decided not to go with the drawers since I have plenty of shelf space throughout my shop.
After topping the entire bench with 3/4" plywood, I glued down 3/16" hardboard to give me a super smooth top.
I also did not bother with the fold out section since I have the roll-around bench and can put it where I need it.

I slightly modified this one to fit my garage space. this has TONS of storage and a great work surface that doesn't take up a whole lot of space.

August 22, 2:07 PM [GMT -5]

Can this project be completed in sections?

Page: