June 03, 9:37 AM [GMT -5]

I built one of these and it is very nice..construction was fairly simple. However, it would have been nice to have some other measurements during assembly For example, what is the distance for the A1 support to A2 shelf, or how far in does A2 go from the edge of B?

I just finished this workbench, and I already love it! It started out as a "use all my wood scraps" project, and it came out nicely! I spent only about $40 on the whole thing. I used 1/2" chip board instead of the expensive stuff, finished off a bucket full of old screws, and used 1 1/2" pvc for the legs (way cheaper). I left both ends open so I have easy access to the stuff in the middle without having to open the table up, and didn't put a shelf yet, but plan on doing it. I have a 2 car garage (that really doesn't even fit 2 cars if it were empty), and this table is perfect. It folds up against the wall, and when it's all the way out, I have almost an entire 4x8 sheet table to work on. Also, I made it the same height as my table saw, so I have an outfeed table now too!

I plan on making something similar in the future to hold my miter saw, all at the same work height so the work surfaces are inter-changeable.

I, and my family, love this workbench. It has become the best table we own for outdoor, driveway, use. I roll it out for outdoor parties, gatherings, and need-a-flat-surface-here contingencies. I built it with MDF and put a coat of polyurethane on it to create a solid, secure bench/table/work area. Thanks for the great idea!

October 22, 11:27 AM [GMT -5]

I'm hoping to build this table this coming weekend but as I'm purchasing materials I'm finding that the piano hinges available at the local big box hardware store are cheaply made and tend to have a gap when in the closed position (table up position in this case). It looks like the hinge pin section is too wide to allow the two halves to close tightly together, which it seems would cause a rather annoying gap in the table surface. Does anyone have any experience or input with this or recommend a particular brand of hinge that seems to work well on this project?

I will put my table on a furniture roller, the heavy duty padded one with 4 " casters. You can get one @ Harbor Freight for $ 10 when it goes on sell. this way , I will always remember where my roller is and I can roll this table easily but when it comes to heavy pounding, I will slide table off the roller and set it on garage floor.

August 21, 7:45 AM [GMT -5]

Hi all, I'm in the final stages of this project and wanted to share my thoughts. This is a great project to get your feet wet with. I was able to knock out most of it in a Sunday afternoon. I chose it out of necessity and underused garage space and it is my plan to build at least 1 or 2 more. Some of the changes I will be making on the next one. On all I plan to leave on side open. This just makes more sense for storage purposes. I keep thinking of reaching for things that are stored under the table. secondly, thee verticals that are centered I plan to move to the swing out table side to maximize my open storage side shelf depth. I went skimpy on the legs, using 1" wooden rods in conjunction with a hole saw for recess for them to slide in. It just made "cents" (the pun is intentional) and plan to build a something into the next unit that will allow me to connect the two together. I haven't thought it out yet?! My thought is for projects to wheel these puppies out and connect the two for a large work table connecting them together. Lastly, I will probably leave both sides open on the second and have a couple of smaller locking compartments inside. Not for practicality but because I think it would be cool. I will be modeling it up sometime this week in Cad, if anyone is interested?

Living in rental housing now I find that this type of workbench/storage unit is a great way to have workspace without installing the kit permanently. Two items worth noting. First, do NOT go cheap on the casters. Small casters will not hold up to pounding and constant movement; so get a heavy duty set. Make sure that at least two of the casters are lockable and that they rotate for easy movement. Second, While it is tempting to add lots of little storage shelves and bins inside, that will also add weight. If you elect to modify the system then consider the amount of additional weight added; especially this is the weight you'll be pushing around your garage.

The project itself took me a weekend to build. I am far from a skilled carpenter, so building something this size was actually a major project for me. I'd rate my skills at low to moderate, and this project can be easily completed by someone like me.

I like the idea....looks good. Has anyone every tried putting 1/4 hard board as the working surface?

Can someone explain how the legs store when leafs are folded up after use?

We just completed renovating our kitchen. I was able to salvaged the old island (48x36). I removed the doors and drawers but kept the shelves and laminate counter top in tact. I then added the the piano hings, wings, pipes, casters, and peg board. I saw this in my magazine just in time. Otherwise, I the old island would have just been demolished.

August 18, 1:37 PM [GMT -5]

@WD Harris: I like your modification! Could you let me know what legnth you had to modify the pipes? ...also any other specific modifications-- such as how far the off-set of the hinges? Many Thanks!

August 15, 3:36 PM [GMT -5]

Thanks for the tips and ideas!

August 06, 7:40 PM [GMT -5]

I built this project when it first appeared several years ago. It was one of the first wood projects I built and it has served me well over time. I made one modification that made it even better. Instead of attaching the leg mounts directly to the underside of the fold out panels, I mounted the boards with hinges which allows them to be permanently attached. I offset the hinges at a slight angle so the two legs on each panel would fold up without hitting each other. I added spring clamps, normally used to hang brooms and mops on the wall, to snap the legs into when folded up.The legs fold up and fit into the bottom shelf area nicely. An added benefit is that the legs are splayed out when down due the the thickness of the hinges on the inside of the mounts. This adds back the stability lost from non-rigid mounting. The length of the pipes was modified slightly to make the panels even with the center top.

My wife liked the workbench so well I used a slightly modified version (shorter) to make her a sewing machine table that she can fold out when she is sewing large pieces for quilts.