Great ideas....but when I attached my shop vaccum to my planer there seemed to be a LOT of static electricity when I disconnected the vaccum from the planer.... Any ideas?

January 15, 11:20 AM [GMT -5]

Great ideas! I'm in the process of setting up a small wood shop in my basement, and I was fretting over the dust it's going to produce. I'll definitely use some of these ideas!

Using a Dust Deputy separator seems to be the best answer for me. Before I used to have to buy filter bags for my vaccum, Now the bag is always empty because the separator collects almost 100% of the saw dust . I use it on my table saw,router table, orbital sander, well all my tools that have a port. You can buy a separator cheaper at a local Woodcraft store and make your own system with just a pair of empty 5 gallon paint buckets. Adding wheels as sugested is a better idea so it can be easily moved around. The separator comes with instructions to make a system and also to buy their parts for it. Buy your own at any local store like Lowe's or Home Depot and you'll save a bunch.

Another inexpensive and great way to collect duct is to bungee cord a central hvac air filter to a inexpensive box fan. This work great for getting a lot of the duct in the air or for sanding.

December 31, 9:46 AM [GMT -5]

Great ideas. when most of us started out, there weren't dust ports to hook up to. Adapting is a good idea.

BHH

For even better filtration of sawdust, get a pre-separator. I got the Vortex from Rockler and it removes 99% of all the dust before it reaches the vac. Another good choice is Oneida Dust Deputy.

Sears sells a great autoswitch accessory. When you plug in your tool and your shop vac, the shop vac turns on and off automatically when you turn your tool on or off. I have one and it works great! Well worth the $20 bucks.