I'm pre-finishing oak panel doors before installing, because I don't want to stain/varnish the hinges. In the past I've had bad experience doing one side one day and other side the next, that you see a seam/overlap of the 2 stainings on the edges. What do you think of flipping the door every half hour for a while, doing both sides the same day? If good, just lay the doors on the wood, or cover it, and with what (wax paper, drop cloth, etc.)?

If you want an excellent "final" sandingjob, use a piece of brown paper bag for a super slick finish following smaller and smaller grit sandpaper finish sanding. Brown paper bag finishing also works well on between-coats application of finishes like urethane.

--Bob--

Some of the cabinets in our home need to be refinished, but not sure what to get to strip off the old varnish? any ideas

I've been refinishing furniture for over 30 years and I never sand in a circular method as shown in one of the photos between coats of Poly. Even between coats I always sand/steel wool/scotch pad with the grain of the wood.

My project is in work currently. This tips state to always sand with the grain but the corresponding picture show circular patterns in use. Is their a time when a circular pattern is acceptable or preferred? How to I handle the project after the final coat?

December 10, 12:55 AM [GMT -5]

You have posted useful tips on Wood Finishing. Thanks for sharing.

I would like to add, be sure you sand with the grain. even the slightest scratch against the grain will show up like a sore thumb

January 18, 10:42 AM [GMT -5]

Don't overlook the use of disposable foam brushes to get a hair-less, bubble-less, very smooth finish. Just make sure finish is applied evenly and then quickly make a final pass.

I also dry-sand and tac inbetween coates, and for an exceptionally smooth finish I wet-sand with 300 or 400 before last coat is applied.

Good Information......The reason I looked here, was to get explicit information on applying the poly or varnish. Is there another link i should look for?

Very helpful information. Thanks for the great instructions and detail views.