This was just the information I needed! I have been following your steps while refinishing a table and chairs and so far the pieces are turning out great! Before I had all types of brush strokes which is what led me to your site. I too use the cheap foam brushes, (Michaels has many sales on these, some times 50/$1!), but was still seeing stroke marks. The poly "wash" (part poly/part mineral spirits) has been the saving grace, I never knew about this before!

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

Hi. We are varnishing our newly made cabinet doors. We have been using Semi Gloss varnish, and unfortunately on this last coat, the finish now looks cloudy. We were unaware we should have been using gloss until the last couple of coats. How can we fix this.

November 28, 1:30 AM [GMT -5]

I use the inexpensive foam brushes, 1" for most projects and 2" for wide large projects, and I get excellent results. I also lightly sand with 220 paper and dust off between coats. I find 2 coats suitable and for higher gloss really durable finish 3 to 4 coats. Did my stairway steps 4 years ago and it still looks brand new. Great stuff. Also the foam brushes are disposable so there's no clean up bother.

I need help! This is the first I have used poly...satin...and I followed the steps, using a mix of poly and mineral spirits to apply a seal coat. The problem is when it dried, about 26 hrs later, I found a couple of white hazy spots. I tried a gentle blow dryer...nothing. Mineral spirits wiped on gently, nothing. Fresh seal coat, still there! And last lightly wet sanding, which might have helped a little. What should I do?

January 22, 11:17 AM [GMT -5]

for smaller projects I use the spray poly as a finishing coat, I liked the results better depending on the project type. If it's large (like a cabinet or door) then I go brush on.

ler

Can you use wipe on polyurethane? Can you spray on deluted polyurethane? Thanks Lynn

August 16, 2:10 PM [GMT -5]

Just applied the first layer, hope I get a better finish then before. Instructions sound great!