I just moved into a new place and I am very excited to make it "my own".
I love the shelves, but I had a question regarding possible revisions to the shelves.
How do you think the shelves would hold up if I decided to forgo the glue and screwed the shelf to the cleat after the cleat was screwed to the studs?
My primary purpose for the shelves is to create a sort of photo rail that can also hold small trinkets and souvenirs my children and I have collected or made growing up.
Thank you!!

Love these shelves! I'm thinking about building them for my extensive DVD collection. What I'd like to know, can I build these shelves 10" deep and much longer than the length of the door without having to add supports between shelves?

My husband and I built 4 shelves out of 2 doors very cheaply. We sanded and painted the edges of the shelves to match the color of our focal wall in our family room The shelves look GREAT and hold a TON of stuff including books!
Thanks for this wonderful project. We Love our shelves :)

February 27, 6:11 AM [GMT -5]

I need a more heavy duty shelf that can hold dishes And has slip so stuff won't slip off edge

February 13, 9:38 AM [GMT -5]

This was a great way to add shelf space to our bedroom. There's now a place to put all the books that had previously been stacked on nightstands. One thing I found out about my house through this project is that the walls are not perfectly smooth, so the shelf did not line up perfectly flat against the wall. To compensate for this, I just used a small bead of painter's caulk around the junction between shelf and wall. Now it looks like a perfect extension of the wall.

December 01, 12:01 AM [GMT -5]

This can work great in a small bedroom. I'' do it.

I love this idea! I intend to use Ikea 'Lack' shelves for this. The shelves are good looking, inexpensive and finished, but the hardware is not sufficient to hold heavy books. This is just what I was hoping for! I'll let you know how it works out.

Oh, for the cap, you can use wood or metal. I used both - once an aluminum edge (1/8" x 1.375") and once a wood molding. I screwed both in with decorative screws, which made it easy to remove the cap, and then the lag screws.

And paint/stain before you install.

I did something similar, but simpler, and it allows for removal.

1. Rip the hollow-core door (7" if used for paperbacks, 9" for hardbacks or other). Note: you can use both long sides of the hollow-core door, giving 13'4" of shelving from one door).
2. Prepare to lag bolt into the wall studs as described. Use lag bolts that will go 2.5 to 3" into the stud (and don't forget to account for sheetrock). I used 5/16 or 3/8" lag bolts. You will also need a washer.
3. Use a Forstener bit to mortise for the lag bolt head and washer. Not too deep.
4. Drill through the mortise in the door for the lag bolt (typically 16" on center, based on your stud locations.
5. Use one of the end lag bolts to mark your first location. (Hold the shelf up to your pre-marked location). Remove the shelf, predrill into the wall for your first lag bolt.
6. Hold up the shelf and use a socket wrench to install the first lag bolt.
7. Put a level on the shelf, and mark the other lag bolt positions.
8. Loosen the lag bolt, let the shelf hang, and predrill the other lag bolt positions in the studs.
9. Re-level the shelf, stick the lag bolts through and get close to tight. You will have some play up or down before you tighten down.
10. Once all are tight, use screws or brads to put a cap over the unfinished door edge and lag bolt heads.

I used this method for bookshelves - they were incredibly strong and didn't move at all, even under the heavy weight of books (but build at your own risk!!!).

I finished this project a week ago. The shelves came out great! Initially, I was a little concerned about how sturdy they would be, but they're perfect! Thanks for posting this!

June 03, 11:41 AM [GMT -5]

I like the idea. But how would you take the shelves down if you no longer wanted them... short of tearing them apart.

Very helpfull!!