I have tried to find a supplier of dual pane glass - it is near impossible. They all want to install for a fortune and give the glass for a fair price - where do they get the glass from?

PS the guy that responded is fake - the website is for sale - 280.- !!

More times than not, you have to be a glass company (glazier) to purchase insulated glass. You may be able to find a local vinyl window manufacturer to make you a glass unit byt the odds are slim. windowRepairGuy .com is a good start to find a local glazier in your area.

Let's face it. By the time you remove the sash from the frame, find a place to buy the insulated glass, purchase all the proper adhesives to glaze the glass back into the sash, purchase safety glass and cut proof gloves, etc. etc. This job may be better suited for a pro not to mention it will probably cost less in the long run.

I cannot find anyone that will provide just the double pane glass. Adding a list of companies who will do this would be helpful.

E Glass Company is a full service manufacturer providing Low Profile Insulated Glass units. We offer a full line of Low E glass, Grid options as well as Argon and Krypton gas. We offer many more products as well such as mirrors, tempered glass, laminated glass, restorations glass and much more. If you are looking for a competitive glass manufacturer look no further give us a call today. We ship to anywhere within the United States.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Erik Slapp
President
E Glass Company
Tel (717) 479-6745
Fax (717) 441-3821
info@eglasscompany.com

October 27, 6:51 PM [GMT -5]

Neither of these 2 scenarios match my situation. I have a single hung, aluminum window. The upper, fixed sash is compromised. I have a replacement sash, have successfully removed the old sash which is held in place by 2 vinyl retention strips, one on each side. When installing the new, replacing the vinyl stop strips was a problem that I did not resolve for fear of breaking the new sash. I ended up reinstalling the old sash with little difficulty and that's where it stands.

The new sash is identical to the old BUT, these windows have a felt, weather strip seal on the outside panel that is a little thicker on the new panel. I suspect this is normal in that the old is compressed but the slight increase in thickness makes installation of the vinyl retention strips require more than just firm pressure.

I would contact the manufacturer of the window but have no idea who that is. Not having any prior experience with this I'd like some insight from one who does.

I'm thinking a little WD-40, a wooden block, a corrugated cardboard sheet to protect the glass and some gentle taps with a hammer..........maybe. Any advice would be appreciated.

By following the directions given on your site, I was able to replace the glass on the fixed portion of my vinyl slider window. I used a 3" putty knife, tapping it in between the glass and the frame with a rubber mallet, to break the seal of the glazing tape on the frame. Very easy. Then while my wife gently pushed the panel from the inside, I removed the panel (from the outside). Tedious was the removal of the residue left over from the glazing tape UNTIL I got out the Goof-Off. Cleaned up quickly. Advise caution when handling the replacement glass: take great care not to subject the edges, especially the corners, to any stress---the glass will chip. Special handling needed when you actually insert the replacement glass: don't force the replacement panel. Further, with glazing tape, you only get ONE chance to seat the glass in position--if it is misaligned after it has contacted the tape, it cannot be adjusted. My guess is that caulk is more forgiving. If you are having problems figuring out how to measure the glass so that you can order the correct size, if you take off the plastic trim pieces on the outside of the window, you can measure the exact size of the old glass (still in place). This includes, length, width and thickness. The place I ordered the glass from merely wanted the "daylight only" size, meaning, when you look out your window from the inside, what is the actual glass opening. Then they added the appropriate length/width to accomodate the actual frame size. I did have to eyeball/measure the thickness. I think the choice given me by the glass company was "5/8 or 1 inch" and it was clearly more like 1 inch. The panel they delivered was the exact same size as the old one so the "daylight only" method worked quite well. The window I replaced was a small unit. For my first attempt, I'm glad it was small. Took a lot of stress out of the project because the unit was easy to handle. If one is contemplating replacing a large unit, I strongly suggest they have a helper, especially when it comes time to actually seat the new unit.

June 19, 12:11 AM [GMT -5]

Hardest part of this project is finding someone to custom make your replacement window panes. Measure for the replacement glass pane very carefully. If the replacement glass pane is too tight a fit to the frame, beat on the frame with a rubber mallet until the glass fits. I have successfully used butyl caulk to seal the glass to my frames rather than the sealing tape. The butyl caulk does not harden like regular caulk. I also bought a set of suction cups to pull the glass from the frame. Breaking out the glass seems so crass. Many outlets sell the suction cups including Harbor Freight. I bought two sets, one for me and one for my helper. If you have to leave the frame in place, you will need the suction cups to lift the new glass pane into place anyway.