How to Remove Wallpaper: Patience Is a Virture

Take your time so you do not cause (more)damage to the walls.
I am retired.
So, "The One Who Must Be Obeyed" decided that the
wallpaper in the bathroom (20 years old) should be removed.
Since she is still working, I (why me!?) was relinquished the job.
Today, I am half way done and that's enough for the day.
Let nature take it's course. Let the Downey and warm water soak in.
Go slow and use a one inch scraper (less chance of damage).
Think of when you where a teenager, on the beach, peeling the back of your girlfriend.
It's okay if you have to rub over it again :-)
Personally, I found that a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc goes well with the occasion.

October 26, 5:28 PM [GMT -5]

I have removed many layers of wallpaper in the various homes in which we have lived. The best thing I have ever found is the cheapest powdered dishwasher detergent mixed with water. After removing the vinyl as much as possible, soak the paper with a sponge and a plastic spatula will literally have the backing and glue sliding off the walls. Then just wash residue off the walls with water and liquid dish soap.

I have never tried the vinegar, but truthfully the smell would be irritating to me in a whole room full of it.

If one puts joint compound on a wall one should always size or harden that area and then prime before painting or putting wall paper up. Your paint will absorb more evenly.

I am a handyman and have done many wall paper removal jobs. I agree with mikehenn. Plenty of HOT water and VINEGAR. I use a spray bottle and on stubborn stuff a large sponge and bucket full of hot water and vinegar. I have tried all of the other methods and found this one to not only be the cheapest but also the easiest. Again make sure you keep the water HOT. The cleaning and patching is all correct with this project. Make sure you use the correct primer for what ever you are going to be putting on the wall, it makes all of the hard work pay off. if you are going to be putting up more wall paper make sure you use a sizer compound on the wall. Your local wall paper company will have this.

Use hot water and vinegar mixture in a spray bottle. Spray, let stand, then scrape off with a plastic/teflon scraper. Then wash down your walls with hot soapy water. This has minimal water running down your wall instead of a soggy mess all over the place. It's also easier if you clean up as you go.

hot water works real good. a steamer works real great. i have found that hot water with some liquid fabric softener much better than plain hot water. thank you for this great advice..it will be of enormous help to first-timers!!!

February 16, 9:18 AM [GMT -5]

I always find that it is a good idea to clean the walls after all the paper is off with Trisodium Phosphate (TSP). This helps eliminate any remaining glue or dirt on the walls. TSP can be found at paint & wallpaper stores as well as The Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It's a little extra work, but your paint job will look much better!

February 16, 8:28 AM [GMT -5]

Insead of just using water, we use a 50/50 mixture of water and fabric softener and have had great success removing paper backed wallpaper. Not sure it would work with vinyl wallpaper.

February 16, 8:17 AM [GMT -5]

This is okay, but I like to use a steamer made for removing wallpaper. You don't have to keep filling up a bucket with hot water to keep it hot. And I usually end up removing more than one layer of paper backed (not vinyl) wallpaper, which is much tougher than the peel away wallpaper.