1. Contest Period: This Contest begins on June 1, 2011 and ends on November 1, 2011. Entry closes August 26, 2011. There will then be a public voting period on selected finalists from about September 1, 2011 until November 1, 2011.
2. Eligibility: This Contest is open to legal U.S. residents 18 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees and immediate family members of the Sponsor, The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. (the publisher of The Family Handyman), or its affiliated or subsidiary companies are not eligible to participate. Contest is governed by laws of the USA. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
3. How To Enter: You may enter this Contest starting at 12:00 a.m. on June 1, 2011 and ending at 11:59 pm on August 26, 2011 There are three ways to enter this Contest. To enter online, visit www.familyhandyman.com/bestDIYproject and follow the instructions (instructions regarding how to upload the photo will be provided.) To enter via email, send a photo(s), a brief description of the project and your full name, address, city, state, zip and telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line of all email projects must be “The Best in DIY Project Contest." To enter via postal mail, send a photo(s), a brief description of the project and your full name, address, city, state, zip, telephone number and email address (if you have one) to The Family Handyman, The Best in DIY Projects Contest, 2915 Commers Drive, Suite 700, Eagan, MN 55121. Postal mail entries must be postmarked by August 26, 2011. Entries submitted in geographic areas in which the entry is not permissible will be disqualified. Photos which are not viewable for any reason, either online or via email, will be rejected. If entries do not contain all necessary information, entrant will be disqualified. You may enter as many times as you’d like. Please be certain to follow all directions.
The Submission must be the original work of entrant. Submission must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. All entries become the property of Reader's Digest/The Family Handyman and will not be returned. Winners will be required to grant to Reader's Digest/The Family Handyman all rights, titles and interest in the submitted entry. We reserve the right to use your entry in all print and electronic media, and to edit it for brevity and clarity.
4. Judging: There are three entry categories in this Contest: Decks and Patios, Dream Garage, and Woodworking Project. Five finalists will be selected in each category by judging all the entrants' submissions based on the following criteria: broad appeal 40%, creativity 30%, and craftsmanship 30%. All judging will be accomplished by a panel of the editors of The Family Handyman magazine. All fifteen finalists' entries will be posted online at www.familyhandman.com on or about 9/1/11 and one Winner will be selected in each category as determined by a consumer vote which will begin on 9/1/11 and end at 11:59 PM on 11/1/11. The entrant with the highest vote tally in each category will be the category Winner. Consumers are permitted to vote once per day. In addition, one Grand Prize Winner will be determined by a panel of editors from The Family Handyman magazine, using the following criteria broad appeal 25%, creativity 25%, Craftsmanship 25% Ability of others to replicate 25%. If the Grand Prize Winner is also one of the highest vote getters, then the second highest vote getter in that category will be designated as the category Winner for that category. Decision of the judges is final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest.
5. Prizes: The Grand Prize winner will receive $3,000, a trip for (2) to the International Builders' Show in Orlando, FL, including airfare and hotel, and a Project of the Year award at the Best in DIY award reception. ARV $5,000.
Each of the three category Winners will receive $1,000, a trip for (2) to the International Builders’ Show in Orlando, FL, including airfare and hotel, and a Consumers' Choice award at the Best in DIY award reception. ARV is $3,000. Trip to the International Builders Show includes a 2 day, 1 night trip consisting of round trip economy class airfare for Winner and one guest from an airport closest to Winner's home to the Orlando Airport, hotel accommodations for 1 night for 2 people in one standard double occupancy room at a hotel in Orlando, FL of Reader’s Digest's choosing, Winners are responsible for transportation to and from airports of departure/arrival and transfers from airport to hotel. Each Winner and his/her guest must travel on same itinerary. Should any Winner elect to not take a guest, or such guest is unable to accompany Winner on same itinerary Winner shall forfeit that portion of the prize and the difference between the actual value of the prize and the stated ARV will not be awarded. Prizes are not transferable cannot be assigned, substituted or redeemed for cash. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a similar prize of equal or greater value in the event that the stated prize is no longer available/cannot be awarded due to circumstances beyond the control of the Sponsor(s). All expenses not specified herein are the sole responsibility of each Winner and his/her Guest including, without limitation meals, minibar, gratuities, telephone calls, and pre/post hotel accommodations. All taxes, if any are the sole responsibility of the Winner(s), as well as travel risks, insurance, loss or damage due to prize acceptance or use. Neither the Sponsor nor its affiliates or subsidiaries will be responsible for any loss, liability or damage arising out of the Winner’s acceptance or use of the prize. Winners and Guests may wish to obtain travel insurance (or other forms of insurance) at their own expense and hereby acknowledge that the Sponsor(s) have not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance. Winners and Guests must possess valid travel documents in order to travel. All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded.
6. Selection of Winners: The Winners will be selected on or about 11/15/11 and notified by email, if known, or by regular mail. Those with known email addresses may be notified by email as well within 30 days of selection and may be required to execute a Statement of Eligibility and Release and Payment Authorization within 30 days of prize notification attempt or Winner will be disqualified and prize may be awarded to an alternate Winner. Return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate Winner may be selected. Entry and/or acceptance of prize(s) constitutes permission for the Sponsors and their agencies (if any) to use the Winner's name, address (city and state) and/or likeness for advertising and trade purposes without further compensation or authorization, worldwide and in perpetuity, in any and all forms of media, now known and hereafter devised, unless prohibited by law.
7. Conditions: Sponsor is not liable for any technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer internet system, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading/uploading any materials in this Contest, or other technical difficulties or failures or other errors of any kind. Sponsor is not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant's or third person's computer and/or its contents, related to or resulting from Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or modify the Contest at any time for any reason. In such a circumstance, finalists, category Winners and Grand Prize Winner will be selected based on entries received to date of termination. In the event that two similar entries are received, only the entry judged to best meet criteria as set by Reader's Digest will be included in the final judging. Entrants agree to indemnify Reader's Digest, their affiliated and subsidiary companies from and against any and all claims and liabilities arising out of or in connection with this Contest. Any dispute regarding submission of online entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organizations (e.g. business, educational institute) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the website or the entry process.
8. The total number of contestants anticipated nationwide is 1000.
9. Winner List/Consumer Information: If you wish to receive a list of prize Winners, have any questions about the Contest, or you do not want to receive future sweepstakes or skill contest mailings from The Family Handyman specify your request and write to: The Family Handyman, The Best in DIY Projects Contest, attn: Gary Wentz, 2915 Commers Drive, Suite 700, Eagan, MN 55121.