June 03, 2:43 AM [GMT -5]

If you’re planning on a portable generator you may want to think about chaining it to a secure object. You may wake with no heat and no generator

My house on Connecticut's Fabulous Vacation Shoreline is heated by two Vermont Castings propane stoves, therefore, I have the big tan and hose runs for propane, and the tank is right near where the electrical service comes in the house.

I also have sleep apnea, and the big storm in 2011 left us without power for 11 days, and left ME with an uvula five times it's normal size. I was thinking about a car-rechargeable backup battery and inverter for my CPAP machine (which inverts and transforms 110-120 VAC @ 50-60 Hz, with a i Amp max draw, to 12 VDC w/3.0 Amp max draw), but the gold-standard fix is a generator.

Any ideas, hints, tips, whatever on propane-powered generators?

Thanks for your help!

Bart Brown

I disagree on the estimated cost of the material regarding the installation of a generator subpanel. I have priced the cost of the material needed and it far exceeds two hundred dollars. I have priced the material at the big box stores as well as an electrical supply house. I have found that the realistic cost of the materials is five hundred dollars.

It would be great if someone came up with an idea of how to protect these portable generators from rain/snow. Most people wheel these units out of their garages and place them a minimum of 10' away from their homes. The generator is now in the elements. I had a heavy duty cover that I use and I secure it with a tie down strap rachett. I leave the exhaust exposed. The down side is when the generator needs to be refueled. I have to removed everything to refuel. I do like the idea of using an old door and 3" closet flanges secured to the underside of the door. The legs being 3" PVC and installing a 3" PVC Tees near the bottom of the legs. Installing an additional piece of 3" PVC as a cross brace will give you a spot to place a sand bag over the cross member to hold down the shelter. This way you can atleast protect your generator from a direct hit from rain or snow and be able to refuel

I'm surprised that you didn't mention furnaces. In the majority of the country a day or two without an operating furnace is more than an inconvenience. It can cause a destructive calamity from frozen/bursting pipes. If it freezes in your area, please consider the power requirement of your furnace, and make the furnace circuit an absolute priority.
On the subject of heating during a power outage, running extension cords through a window is rather ineffective when you're trying to maintain heat in the house. The window won't fully close.

LLO

WHY DON'T YOU INCLUDE THE OPTION OF POWERING YOUR ENTIRE MAIN PANEL WITH THE PORTABLE GENERATOR BY ADDING A GENERATOR BREAKER AND AN INTERLOCK KIT www.interlockkit.com. I USE THIS METHOD AND IT LETS ME CHOOSE WHICH BREAKERS I WANT TO POWER TO SUIT MY NEEDS AT ANY ONE TIME. I AM AN ELDERLY WOMAN AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL IN USING THIS METHOD DURING POWER OUTAGES. LINEMEN ARE PROTECTED SINCE THE INTERLOCK KIT MAKES IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE MAIN PANEL SWITCH TO BE "ON" WHEN THE GENERATOR BREAKER IS "ON".

How about an article and comparison of the various portable emergency generators on the market. I've heard horror stories about various brands but Honda is SO expensive. I'd like to get a good, reliable, unit this year.

Another thing: Power typically goes out in a rain storm and you want it "at least 10 feet" from the house. How about a shelter for the generator? Can i run the generator in the garage with an "exhaust pipe extension" like they use at the car repair shop in the winter (Minnesota)?