1800 is cheap? I built a not so picturesque twice the floor space for less than half of that amount, including wiring....

I wanted to build one in next summer and was looking for good instructions, I ma glad I found one. Now I am more confident.
Thank you.

I actually completed this project last summer with very few modifications. I wish I can upload all the images I took as I built this shed along with my CAD version of the plan. I also added a deck in front. This was an awesome project and an awesome learning experience.

Materials discrepancy with the plans. Materials list says walls are 92 5/8". Plans say 95 5/8". I believe the materials list is incorrect.

April 05, 11:01 AM [GMT -5]

Love this! The best wood to use for an outdoor storage shed would be white cedar due to its natural preservatives. White and red pine require more maintenance and generally do not hold up well against cracks, rotting, and insects.

October 04, 7:33 PM [GMT -5]

No I didn't start on the shed . I can't find a materials list . Please can you send me a list so I can start.

September 30, 12:28 AM [GMT -5]

The level of articulation and handy tips for this project is the best I've seen. Building arch windows with a homemade trommel, eave install prehang with upside roofing build, bird's mouth roof trusses....ALL on the platform with a pocket joiner for flat door construction. That's beyond awesome. Thank you!

As I read through the comments below, I saw that there were a number of degrading statements made by people who have not built the project. As a female worker in wood, who has built her own house, (a high profile dome structure, and a teacher of young people who want to learn to work with wood, I chose this project because of its details and the skills they would learn by creating their own windows and doors. In addition, the task of measuring and cutting accurately in order to prefab the sides was infinitely valuable to them. I could have had them just throw something up in a traditional building fashion, but this project taught them so much more. Thank you for offering it. The kids are proud of the shed they created, and although it is not perfect, it will stand for many years as part of a new display and area on the Kenai Peninsula Fairgrounds as part of a garden dedicated to the founder of the fair.

June 22, 8:42 AM [GMT -5]

You made it very easy and have given detailed information step by step. Thank you . but i 've already buy a shed from http://www.outdoorhomecenter.com company. its was so good. to me and now thing to build one by my own.

When I googled "how to build a cheap storage shed", I was expecting to find just that. Wow, talk about a misinterpretation! This hardly looks like a "storage shed" - a little girl's playhouse is what my eyes see when I look at flower boxes and bay windows. And "over $500" (WAY over is more accurate) is not cheap on my income. This project is NOT a "cheap storage shed" - I've LIVED in worse places than this!

March 25, 11:21 AM [GMT -5]

This is a sharp plan. To find a kit similar to this it is much more expensive than the cost of materials and so far all I have seen are cheaper materials and cut corners such as 2x3"s for studs. (I have no idea where they even found stock that size)
While I know there are reasons to not share this, if you folks could provide some kind of CAD file that would import into Google Sketchup, that would be spectacular. It would allow very easy tweaking and even test fitting the equipment you wish to store. I hear there is this technology called paper and pencil but I tend to veer away from it.

Wait, I just looked at the details under the cost, "The materials, not including the optional cupola, cost $1,800." Sorry, but that's plain ridiculous. Not to mention the tools I would have to buy under the tools & materials list such as an air compressor, router, etc. So much for cheap...

Over $500 in materials is considered cheap? Really? How about putting up a simple shed project without all the frills that really would be cheap.

This is a very good plan and well documented. There was a suggestion that purchasing a kit would be more advantageous. It would be more expensive; unable to make custom modifications; and final no pride of ownership. Should have some experience working with tools and become familiar with terminology. Next, build your own home. :-)

I am a complete amateur. Since I needed more storage and wanted to learn basic carpentry I tackled this project. I learned a lot. First, the Hardy board was not available locally in the sizes needed so I cobbled together smaller sizes. Not a good idea. Cost me lots of caulk and seal time on the eaves. I skipped the cupola since I'm under a tree.

Given my lack of carpentry education I build the walls as instructed and then sheathed them. Oops. Lumber from Home Depot curled as it sat around when the siding went on it just froze the walls into a small bow. I compensated and covered the base plate bows but leaving the siding off or fixing the bows would have made things better. Real carpenters don't have these problems. Still a total novice built the shed and got lots of ooh's and ah's from friends.

Would I do it again? Maybe. Just never again the roofing. That's a man's job and I'm too old to do that again (64). Still, I look at the shed with pride every time I walk by it. While a kit may be cheaper, nothing replaces doing things from scratch. If you just want cheap, then there are simpler, uglier plans you can use. This one turns out nice!

October 23, 5:44 PM [GMT -5]

Wow, these are great plans. I have been designing a similar shed with a few differences and these are going to really help me with my own design. Thank you!

August 20, 1:31 PM [GMT -5]

Almost complete!!! So far so good. Will give update once complete.

My husband wants to build this but has a question. Does the floor of the shed just rest upon the gravel pits or is there a way to secure it better? We live in Kansas and winds can be really strong.

If you are looking for cheap storage sheds I think it is much cheaper to buy a storage shed kit. You can buy kits from http://www.shedsforlessdirect.com/ that are already pre-cut and pre-drilled. Some of the kits even have half of the assembly done for you. I bought a shed kit from them and was able to get all of it built in about 5 hours saving time and money! :)

February 17, 11:43 AM [GMT -5]

I just started on this shed. I have some carpentry skills, but I wouldn't call my self a carpenter. I just started getting the supplies and I have been having a hard time finding
all the required hardware. A couple of the major hardware stores don't carry galvanized
box nails or ring shank siding nails. One of the stores I went too has a construction dept. and the employee didn't know what a box nail was. I would have been helpful to me, It I knew what the various nails where to be used for. I hope to have all the needed materials so that I can get on with this project.

Page: