Required Tools for this Project
Have the necessary tools for this DIY project lined up before you start—you’ll save time and frustration.
Required Materials for this Project
Avoid last-minute shopping trips by having all your materials ready ahead of time. Here's a list.
- One 8-ft. cedar 4x4 (actual size is 3-1/2 x 3-1/2 in.)
- Three 10-ft. cedar 2x6s
- One 8-ft. 2x2 (1-1/2 x 1-1/2 in.)
- One 4x8 sheet of 3/8-in. plywood
- One 4x8 sheet of 3/4-in. pressure-treated plywood
- Four 8-ft. pieces of brick mold
- Four 12 x 12-in. vinyl or aluminum gable vents. The dimensions refer to the louvered area, not the vent's frame. Our 12 x 12-in. vents measured 14-1/2 x 14-3/4 in.
- One bundle of shingles
- One 10-ft. long roll of aluminum flashing
- Galvanized screws (1-1/4, 2 and 3 in.), 1/2-in. self-tapping sheet metal screws, 1-in. galvanized nails, 3/4-in. roofing nails, construction adhesive, acrylic caulk, roof cement (two tubes).