aoz

September 07, 9:50 AM [GMT -5]

QUESTINO
I have a gas hot water heater.
do I really need to DRAIN this periodicaly, OR can I just turn off the heat, let it get to WARM, leave the water pressure on, and run out about 10 gallons of water?
I just did this, and no real sediment came out anyway, but is ther a reason to ave to dump the whole tank?
thanks
Nick

August 23, 9:58 AM [GMT -5]

I have two water heaters setup in series. Is is necessary to do both, or is one more important than the other?

AAB

One thing to always check on your hot water heater is if the pipes are connected correctly. I have fixed over 3000 water heaters in a twenty-five year period and at least two or three times a year, I find a water heater that was installed backwards.
The cold water should come in on the right, as you face the controls. If connected backwards, the cold water will come in at the top (left side) and the hot water will have to be pushed through the sediment and up the dip tube.
Most often, the customer complains of restricted water flow on the hot water side.

If you flush a water twice a year it works great, most people never bother until they have a problem, in which case, a shop vac is the only way to clean out a water heater.

I have had my electric hot water heater for 19 years. Every six months I change the upper and lower rods because of the large amount of calcium in our water. The rods cost around $20 for the both but pay for themselves with-in a few months. I used to vacuum the bottom out by connecting a flexible clear hose to my wet vac and it worked well for many years. Then I found a pvc angled tube made especially to vacuum out the calcium at a local hardware store (not the big guys). I works fantastic and takes less time. Flushing the system never gets all the sediment out and that left over material is what causes the rust to start and then goes your tank. I do like the idea of adding vinegar for those little areas. For energy efficient I always hear of flushing the system but never changing the rods. The rods do build up with calcium causing them to work harder and longer (more energy usage). I do see the big difference in my electric bill every time I change them.

If you dump a couple gallons of white vinegar into the inlet or outlet of the tank and let it soak in the bottom of the tank of a while it will eat most of the calcium up, or atleast make it easy to flush out with water.

October 06, 1:52 PM [GMT -5]

lefty18jcsOctober 06, 2010

Has anyone tried to loosen the sediment by shooting compressed air through the drain valve? Can this be done without too much danger?

I don't think that is a good idea. You take the chance of forcing some of the sediment into the pipes and causing another problem.

If you FLUSH your tank on a yearly basis (like most manufactors recommend) you shouldn't have a lot of sediment in there.

October 06, 1:40 PM [GMT -5]

One comment only. Instead of taking the handle off you can get a hose thread cap. some types of ball valves the handle is used to seal the bushing in the top; take it off and they will leak

October 06, 1:26 PM [GMT -5]