• Share:

Comments from DIY Community Members

Share what's on your mind and see what other DIYers are thinking about.

1 - 6 of 6 comments
Show per page: 20   All

June 07, 10:35 PM [GMT -5]

The rules for valve usage were not really explicit

1) Ball valves are full flow and unless designed as such are NOT flow control valves.

2) Gate valves are full flow valves and can be used as flow control and/or pressure reducers under dynamic conditions. I used a gate valve to "chew up" pressure on the line to my refrigerator. Pressure will return to full pressure (i.e. line pressure) when flow stops.

3) Stop valves can be used as described in the article (faucets, toilets) and have very high pressure drops. They cannot be used as the main water service valve or as isolation on a hot water heater. They are also called globe valves and are effective as flow control valves. Water best flows up past the disk (globe/stop). Hose bibbs are globe/stop valves.

The article did not cover such things as needle valves or even check valves, butterfly, etc.

I love and prefer ball valves b/c of ease of use, lots fewer turns to open or close.

September 15, 12:23 PM [GMT -5]

Thanks for sharing! Don't forget to scrap the old valves for some extra cash.

Find local scrap yards with the iScrapApp.

April 26, 12:01 PM [GMT -5]

midyoung1- according to the article:

"If the pipes are tight against the wall, you may not be able to operate the lever."

i assume this means that the ball valve is used most of the time but the others exist for specialty cases. hope this helps.

Jim Donahue

January 18, 10:51 AM [GMT -5]

I enjoyed the article; the only thing is what is the application for each? If the ball valve is the best as far as completly stopping the water, then why do the other valves still exist? I've always been confused about this and wondered which valve to use where.

September 19, 1:44 AM [GMT -5]

You're exactly right, shacko. Even the picture in this very article shows a ball valve assembly that has a smaller hole than pipe diameter. It is amazing just how much less water flow and pressure that you'll get from using a valve with too small an opening. The money you save with a cheap valve isn't worth the callbacks and complaints that you'll get in return..

September 18, 2:22 PM [GMT -5]

>>>Ball valves contain a finely machined stainless steel ball with a hole drilled through the center that pivots in plastic bushings. Like the gate valve, it's a full-flow valve.<<<

That is not true, if you buy the cheap valves the hole in the ball is smaller then the pipe size, you have to buy the ball valve that bulges in the center to get a true full flow.

+ Add Your Comment

Add Your Comment

Plumbing Valve Basics

Please add your comment

Log in to My Account

Log in to enjoy membership benefits from The Family Handyman.

  • Forgot your password?
Don’t have an account yet?

Sign up today for FREE and become part of The Family Handyman community of DIYers.

Member benefits:

  • Get a FREE Traditional Bookcase Project Plan
  • Sign up for FREE DIY newsletters
  • Save projects to your project binder
  • Ask and answer questions in our DIY Forums
  • Share comments on DIY Projects and more!
Join Us Today

Report Abuse

Reasons for reporting post

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us