successfully sweating copper comes down to having clean copper!
if you have an old joint that you heat up to remove a bad valve, all the old solder needs to be removed before sweating a new one. it can be wiped fairly clean when hot, but must be sanded with abraisive to bare copper before sweating anew. clean bare copper is golden, old solder is silver / green. if you cant get bare copper, the joint will fail. when soldering new, remember solder flows to the heat. heat the joint evenly, but always touch new solder opposite from the heat to insure a good hot flowing joint. all parts of new joints must be clean!!!!

What if the valve is leaking after you install it? Mine are both leaking from the back of nut. Any thoughts on how I can fix?

November 12, 11:51 AM [GMT -5]

@llw314 This guide essentially has you replace a soldered shutoff valve with one connected by a compression fittings.

October 12, 6:41 PM [GMT -5]

Again, you show removing with a torch, but you don't show sweating a new valve on with a torch. You are not alone: about every other site does the same thing!

6/26/11 I have to replace the valve (no soldering involved,thankfully) the screw that held the handle on broke off so I can't turn the water off under the sink. Have the valve ready to go on, but can't break loose the old valve :/ any suggestions how to loosen it for removal? working under bathroom sink inside vanity so I can't get much leverage.

How to remove the sweated shut off valve if it there is water in the line. One of my valves has a nut near the handle so we removed that and it opened up the pipe. Another one, however, is brasscraft quarter turn and only has a screw holding the handle and we cannot turn that screw. I assume there is a stem there that could come out if we got the handle off. Any suggestions.

if you stuff bread into the water line it stays plugged long enough to finish the job and then it will break down and run it self through the tap later on.

December 14, 1:19 AM [GMT -5]

If removing an existing compression valve, you need two wrenches-- one to turn the nut and the other holding the valve in place. Pay attention to the direction: turn the nut clockwise to loosen.

I needed a ferrule puller to remove the previous compression sleeve-- don't know how I would have been able to remove it otherwise.

I checked NO, as I am presently working on this project. As above, more on soldering method would be of great help, also maybe a solution to stopping the water from coming out of water supply pipe? The heat from torch draws out the water, thus preventing a good solid solder, I was told to use balled up bread to stop the flow, but it did not work for me. Any ideas? Thank you.

You need to show a soldered faucet method as well.
Tips for getting the old faucet desoldered. i.e. getting enough heat on the joint to melt the solder.