Excellent advice, saved me the hassle, especially since i just replace the floor in the bathroom, got the toilet all set up in its kinda tight space. I didn't want to have to fight behind the toilet and walls.

I had a new washer and dryer installed today and the cold water valve was leaking. After fumbling thru different sites, I found the solution with the Handyman........It was an easy fix, with simple to follow instructions.......This site is invaluable to the once middleclass household.........I can't afford to pay someone to fix things, so your site is greatly appreciated.....Thank you!!

November 18, 10:20 AM [GMT -5]

Thanks for this tip. this worked for me!

October 23, 12:00 PM [GMT -5]

Great advice about the 1/8 turn fix. Worked perfectly. The photos were very helpful. You saved me from embarking on (for me) a big project of disassembling the valve or possibly replacing it.

A word of caution: Don't go a bit past the 1/8 turn, even if the nut seems willing - it'll make it more difficult to turn the valve handle, and these valves and handles are not what one could call heavy-duty. If I were to do this again, I'd start out with maybe 1/16 of a turn and see if that does the trick.

Well, that was easy, thanks to your advice!

The 1/8 turn worked like a charm. Covering the plier teeth with masking tape was a simple and ingenious idea.

September 16, 9:30 AM [GMT -5]

If it keeps leaking just replace it an new one only costs 6 bucks, not worth the touble of taking it apart and messing with it.

September 07, 12:59 AM [GMT -5]

Seems so obvious, but this article was totally on the money for me.

I thought I'd have to replace the leaking valve after having to turn it off to replace the kitchen faucet. All it needed was a 1/8th turn, just as prescribed.