Big question here...Please help me out.

My experience, seeing my dad and relatives reseat toilets, is to put the wax ring ON THE FLOOR, then place the bolts, then seat the toilet.

When I went to get a new wax seal for leaks, I got told PUT THE SEAL ON THE TOILET FIRST, then place on the floor...

Which is right ???

September 04, 2:19 AM [GMT -5]

I am a contractor and agree on everything in this install with the exception of the shims. Using one of The Family Handyman toilet install tips linked below:
This is a great tip and usually eliminates the need for shims. Just put the bowl in place without the wax ring of course, and then tape on the floor around the bowl. Remove the bowl and caulk around the inside edge of the tape template. And be liberal with the caulking it should push out and can be cleaned up after. This usually self levels the toilet. The only drawback with this method is you should not use the toilet for about 24 hours so the caulking can harden.

Wax seal? give me a break-the waxless one's are so much better.

September 03, 8:50 AM [GMT -5]

I like TeXan's suggestion #4 about leaving the back uncaulked for leak detection. This way you have the best of both worlds; a solid connection to the floor (not to mention a cleaner looking job) but also the ability to detect leaks.

Holmes on Homes from HGTV insists one never caulks the toilet to the floor for the reason that you want to be able to see if there is a leak, especially when the toilet is mounted on a wood floor. Should the seal leak, the caulk would contain the leak resulting in rot of the wood fooring or more damage if it is on an upper floor.

January 01, 11:19 AM [GMT -5]

Nic article most common cause of sewage smell in bathroom is a failed wax seal.

1. The toilet flange should be ABOVE the finished floor. not even with it. If it is too low add shims to raise it to the correct level.
2. Most plumbers would recommend that the wax seal not have the built in plastic horn or funnel in it .. Just plain wax.
3. Waxless toilet seals can work but are more prone to failure. I like the Fernco branc myself
4. I like to caulk around the base with a non silicone caulk Leave the back open to detect a leak if it would occur. (it seals the toilet to the floor) I use poly seam seal. silicone sticks too much to the floor. Just a little caulk will do. Some like to use plaster of paris or plumbers putty at the toilet floor interface.
5. make sure you check to make sure the toilet has not been leaking and the subfloor or joists rotted. if rotted, they should be repaired first!
6 Toilet recommendations. I like a gravity flush with larger flush valve and fully glazed trapway. all major manufacturers make them now. Look at some plumber chat sites.. ie plbg.com for name recommendations..

you advise to caulk around the toilet base after it has been put in place and shimmed. i thought conventional wisdom was that you don't caulk around the base in order to be able to see any leakage that may be happening at the wax riing or flange. with the base caulked the leak won't show, with potentially damaging consequences. how say you.....