August 20, 10:08 PM [GMT -5]

I've looked at a couple of websites about this little problem and I'm amazed that no one is doing the diagnostic this way:
1. Turn of the water at the valve below the toilet
2. Flush the toilet so the empty (well, almost empty)
3. Pour in a quart of water from the sink using some kind of container
4. Now observe if you have any water running into the bowl
5. If you do, then the problem has nothing to do with the float, the float valve, etc.
This makes me sound like an expert, but I still haven't solved my toilet problem. It runs with only a quart of water poured in it, and I've replaced the flapper. Doesn't help. So what's up?

May 13, 12:02 AM [GMT -5]

It sound like running water but it is air. I live on the first floor of an apartment building and I changed out the fill valve it made no difference. Even when I turn off the water it still runs, if I drain the tank then it stops. why, it is air bubbles?

The flapper is fine. If I remove the fill tube from the overflow, water flows from it, fills the tank, it shuts off, does not leak. I can flush the toilet.

If I do not remove it, water goes into the bowl, and water keeps running into the overflow tube but it never fills the tank, it just keeps running.

I cannot figure it out.

Still a mistery... if I empty all water inside the tank and shut off the water supply, I still can see running water on the bowl. The water level is below the flapper and leaking continues.. Should it be the wax ring??

September 23, 9:56 AM [GMT -5]

what does "check the fill tube length and cut it back" mean??? How do I check the length? And what am I trying to see? And how would I "cut it back?" You assume too much background knowledge!

August 17, 5:19 PM [GMT -5]

The fill valve shown in the picture has a nob on the cap that adjusts the water level without having to bend the float rod. The overflow tube tht is being cut with a hacksaw should be set below the tank handle level or above the waterline marked on the toilet tank. The setting on the fill valve can be misleading since the fill valve has an adjustable height. Older toilets with brass flush valves can be nearly impossible to get to stop dripping because the brass seats get etched over time and even emory cloth wont polish them smooth. Some plastic flush valves are very particular as to which type of flapper will seastr properly. Most important of all if you are using a flapper that has one of those round rings attached to it and your flush valve has little tabs to hook the flapper on, you MUST cut the round ring off.

August 06, 4:52 PM [GMT -5]

I have done this and it still runs. Does anyone have anymore ideas or hints on how to fix it besides having to keep turning the water valve off? Thanks

June 03, 12:07 AM [GMT -5]

This is a great way to save $$ on your water bill and it's pretty easy to do.