The crimper I used (both for 1/2" and 3/4") was too much for my petite hands. I'm a strong gal but needed a beefy guy to complete this project. I never had that problem with copper. But then, it took twice to three times as long to complete!

I just wish ratcheting crimpers could be created like the ratcheting cutter. Women are spending more and more time on home improvements and the manufacturers should pay attention.

I read the article in the magazine and checked this story online, but no mention of heating system use; that should have been included. Can you use PEX in heating systems like hot water/radiator?

I'm considering using PEX. I have a baseboard hot water heating system. Can I use PEX for that system that is supplied hot water from a boiler?

It is very informative for new kind of plumbing pipes. Good job.

I have been using a snap on type of connector for repairing and adding to the pex in a cottage we bought. seems to work just fine.

January 22, 9:30 AM [GMT -5]

I had all three solutions I had a house and replaced all (yup all) of the plumbing replaced with copper.. then built a new house and used all CPVC.. I recently replaced everything (yup all again) with PEX ... i also have the pex manifold .. I have one for cold and another for hot. You have a separate large copper 1 inch to the manifold and then all the pex runs to each outlet... After using pex I won't use anything else.. You need afew special tools if you're going to do it yourself you'll find installation to be a breeze and you don't have to worry about leaks.. I replaced all the valves with quarter turn ones.

CAN THIS PEX BE USED TO RUN HOT WATER FROM HEATER TO FAUCETS

This isnt entirely true that its used in radiant heating systems. Pex-A is used in radient floors. But even then its suppose to be heat pex not aqua pex.

Also Pex-A can be expanded and also heated to fix kinks. Pex-B and Pex-C can not. Pex C fittings are usually crimp style fittings. The bad part about crimp is it restricts flow because the fitting is inserted into the pipe. While expansion pex, expands the pipe and ring and then the fitting is inserted in that has the same inside diameter as the pipe.

For tight places you can use a pocket crimper.

I like using pex, but one of the biggest disadvantages I have is using the crimper in tight spaces. For example uder the kitchen sink. I was putting in a new sink and had to redo all the lines because there wasn't room for the crimper without starting from scratch. The only way around it was to use a battery operated crimper and those cost thousands.