It won't address the "source" of the ants (i.e. the outdoor mounds), but we found a great way to avoid ants in the house. Bay leaves. We read about it on the internet and figured it was just an old wive's tale. We used to have an ant invasion in the house every night. We'd wake up to ants all over the kitchen and near a computer desk where we sometimes ate. We could tell the two or three places they were gaining entry, but nothing seemed to stop them. We tried cleaning religiously, vinegar, soap-water, bait, professional exterminator (which helped briefly), and a bunch of other stuff. So, desperately we tried the bay leaves. We went to the grocery store and bought a few, just set three or four leaves around each entry point, and haven't seen a single ant since. That's been nearly six months. Your mileage may vary, but for us it's been a miracle cure for ants coming in the house from outside.

I am concerned with how much insecticide is suggested. Spraying the entire lawn could kill beneficial insects. We are already seeing a decline in honey bees and bumblebees to a lesser extent. Why would we want to kill all insects to get rid of ants?
Why not use more vinegar on the siding and foundation (non-grass) areas.
I just found a new nest this afternoon just where you said it would be in a wet spot by the foundation. I mixed white vinegar and water and poured in on the nest, stirring it. Sorry I caught a few earthworms but I will keep watch on the nest and others I found last year. White vinegar of the 11% strength works super-well when poured directly from the jug. Also excellent for in the ground wasp nests in the evening.

October 29, 12:55 PM [GMT -5]

Even though it is starting to cool down we are still having a problem with ant in our kitchen. It is very annoying not to mention gross. I will spray outside but what safe things can I do to get rid of the ones that are already inside? If this doesn't work I'll just call pest control and hopefully they can give me a hand.

August 13, 8:16 AM [GMT -5]

Good article, except for one area. Why all the push for spraying chemicals all over the yard? Ants and other insects live in the yard and help keep your yard healthy. The chemical kill a lot more bugs than just ants. Good bugs or bad bugs, the chemical knows no difference, it just kills them all. Beside I don't want a chemical covered yard.
If you are getting ants in the house, it's because they are finding food. Clean up the waste food and the ants will go look elsewhere.

August 10, 8:44 AM [GMT -5]

I think this is one of your best pieces yet! I learned a lot from it. Maybe now the ants won't be controling ME! Thank you very much. Very well written.

August 08, 4:15 PM [GMT -5]

This is a very good article. I've been dealing with these critters for a long time and have learned by trial and error most of the points talked about here. Here are a few more:
When ants first enter the house usually they are trying to get to another part of the yard and your house is in the way so they make a trail through it.
I have hardwood floors so its easy to spot them. When I see an ant I always try to find the trail and track it to wall then I vacuum them up. I don't like to use insect spray in the house. Next I go outside and look to see where they are coming from spray the whole area.

August 08, 3:04 PM [GMT -5]

We recently get a lot of ants (infestation) after a heavy rain. Usually no ants in the house. Two years ago we were overrun with "Thief" ants... look more like crumbs until you brush them! These are "protein" eating ants. This year we had a second group move in. These were Black Ants. With a combination of Terro and Grants, plus a homebrew Peanut Butter/Borax mix, we were rid of them in less than a week!
Trying to "seal cracks" is useless in an older home (try 87 year old!). I also spread Terro Granules around the perimeter of the house.
Keeping the kitchen clean is crucial! I wipe the counter down with a spritz of Windex or other cleaner to be sure no attractants remain.
Good luck!

Great article! Only one issue though-The ID thing doesn't work in New York City. The local extension office only provides "Nutritional Information". I looked into it when I found some crazy white grubs in my garden. I ended up mailing the bug to a friend in Iowa who took it to her extension office.