Hmmmm. I have my doubts. In areas with sub 0 celsius temperatures during winter, you would be very sorry to have applied this method once winter sets in and the water that seeped into the sand turns to ice. The expanding ice will cause the pavers to move up in a way you certainly wouldn't want. To avoid this, you first need to drill a good number of large holes in the concrete and fill them with gravel to allow the water to seep away. Please add the caveat that the method you suggest is just for warmer climes.

svc

April 28, 1:33 AM [GMT -5]

... but what i would like to know is how to revive an old paver patio without much work?

April 27, 10:20 AM [GMT -5]

What if the old concrete patio is not level? I had root damage from an old Silver Maple causing areas to lift and sink by 1"+. Can I level it and then pave over? Removing the concrete is not an option for me.

I want to reuse my old patio brick pavers. Can i glue them onto pressure treated plywood and lay it down on the grass?

December 10, 10:46 AM [GMT -5]

Will the pavers w/ mortar over the patio work if you use the half pavers? I want to cover my concrete front porch with as thin a paver as I can get so that the height is minimized. Also do you think the colder weather in NC (some freezing and thawing) would be a problem with the mortar adhering to the concrete? If necessary, I could drill some holes in the concrete.

August 24, 9:31 PM [GMT -5]

On the issue of extending the pation past the slab - a professional landscaper suggested a mud job over the gravel to keep it consistent with the concrete

He also suggesrted laying right on the concrete without sand or glue if the condiiton allows. For a small patio there is not much risk in trying. T o MCR - if time is not an issue try a 6x6 test area and see if you like it

My concrete patio is not level and about half of it slopes toward the house. Can I still do this and if so how would I get border pavers to the level I need?

In the Denver metro area, there are recycled tires that are made into rubber pavers. They come in a variety of color and are "dog bone" shaped for easy laying on concrete.

The manufacturer suggested that you glue the outside boundary to stabilize the entire field. I didn't do that, but made a small frame of cedar to surround the pavers.

They've been down now, without sand for several years without any shifting. I really like them as they are soft to the feet and when the back yard gets hot, I just spray a little water on them, and they keep the backyard cool all day. As they are rubber, the water goes through the paver and wets the concrete below. These days, I noticed that HD carries a similiar type, but a larger "brick" more on the 18" X 18" size. There are a couple of different patterns and colors too.

A3D

Would water runoff be a problem in this method? How could it escape with the perimeter blocks being glued down on the concrete pad? If it does run off would it wash the sand away or cause you to replenish it more often?

MCR

In the Q&A section someone asks, "how about skipping the sand and just put the pavers over the concrete?" I have a 20ft by 20ft concrete patio that is new, less than 1 year old. It is level and in great condition. I want to put pavers over it, and my only concern is do I, or do I not skip the sand part??? What are the pros/cons of sand/no sand? I live in Atlanta, it does get cold in the winter but not NE cold or snow. Has anyone actually NOT put the sand down? How did it turn out? Do you regret not putting the sand down? I've looked at literally 100's of YouTube videos on paver laying and I've only found 1 video where someone was putting pavers on concrete without sand. The video did not go into much detail or commentary and it did not show the finished product or how it turned out.
So, is purring down pavers over concrete practical? Is it a good way to go, and are the results just as good if you had done it with sand? Thanks for any comments,

This is a great DIY project for a weekend warrior. On ething to keep in mind is that you are not stuck on the one traditional pattern shown in the how-to. Not only do pavers come in lots of colors and styles, they also come in different dimensions, allowing for your own creativity to shine through. Check out basalite.com and see all of the different patterns you can create with, for example, the Artisan Premier series, which offers twelve different paving patterns for your project.

December 08, 1:35 AM [GMT -5]

please visit our website
http://www.constructionbuddy.net for all your construction needs
we have various apps & construction calculators for iphone and android.
please like us on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/constructionbuddy