hoz

I'm retired after 40 years in the trade and I've slung tons of paint. I agree with everything except the paint tray over a bucket and screen, his rolling technique, and that short roller handle.

A bucket and is more convenient, no need to constantly refill the tray. You don't just sock the roller down into the paint but carry it resting above the paint by utilizing the little "ears" on the rolling frame.

March 12, 11:18 AM [GMT -5]

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you! :)

One of the most basics tips I can add to this is to always making use of a disposable dish. It totally saves you time and effort since you don't have to go across the room whenever you intend to refill your paint brush from time to time.

How fast? I would like to know how much time the work takes. Maybe an average person with average skills. It would be nice to know a job break out like prep time, painting time, and any other time consuming steps to allow for.

WOW, have I ever been doing it all wrong!

August 07, 10:32 PM [GMT -5]

Tim - you could spray in that situation. A couple of things you might want to consider first:

- because of the overspray (the mist that forms in the air) you use more paint than rolling.
- make sure you have a breathing apparatus (probably want something more than a cheap paper filter with a rubber band.
- unless you're seasoned with a sprayer, achieving even coverage without runs can be challenging (especially watch your overlap). You have much more control with a brush and roller.
- rolling gives the wall a slight orange-peel texture that spraying doesn't. Some people look at a sprayed wall and find it doesn't seem right - they don't know why, but something is "wrong." It is the lack of texture that they've grown accustom to seeing on walls.

August 07, 10:24 PM [GMT -5]

As a painter for 31 years myself, I agree with much of the article. I would add a few suggestions:

1) Always sand! I've been hired countless times because a DIYer didn't sand the trim and the new paint started chipping or flaking off. Typically trim is painted with a semi/gloss finish or it is finished with a varnish/poly product - either way it is too hard for the new paint to adhere to. Sanding with a 180-220 grit paper (120 - 150 if it is rough and needs to be sanded down) will allow the new paint to grip tight and not chip.

Even walls look nicer when sanded. Rolling leaves an orange peal texture that builds up over time. Using a pole sander with 120-150 grit paper and lightly sanding prior to painting will knock down some of the texture and give you a smoother wall when you're finished.

2) Use a good brush. A cheap brush will only give you stress, frustation and a poor paint job. Spending the money for a high quality brush will save you time, effort and give you a far better paint job in the end. Take care of it and you'll be painting with it for many, many years.

3) When rolling, I use a very similar technique except I start in the middle of the wall and go up to the ceiling and then back down to the floor. When you go down you roll through where you started, picking up excess paint and spread it downward on the wall. If find this makes the coverage much more even across the wall. Also, once you've gone several feet, "back roll": before you get more paint on your roller, lightly roll backwards over the wet paint and then forward again. Again this evens out the coverage and eliminates roller marks on the wall (don't go so far that you roll into paint that is starting to dry or you'll have a mess!).

4) Always use a pole when rolling. I find I have much more control than just using the roller handle. Also it saves your back from having to bend down countless times to roll to the baseboard, get more paint, etc. I have a 1-2 foot extenstion pole that is great for hallways, closets, bathrooms, any small space. It is rare that I find a spot that I have to remove the pole and just use the handle.

Happy Painting!

August 07, 10:32 AM [GMT -5]

Thanks for the great article. It gave me some great pointers and I think is going to really help us.

But a quick question for the painting pros on here. We are getting ready to paint our media room after a DIY renovation. There is no carpet in the room right now and everything but the window is going to be the same color. It's currently a light color room which does not work well for a media room, so we are going with a dark blue color.

I plan on pulling all the outlets and switch plates and then covering the boxes with tape and dropping the ceiling fan. I figure I'll have to tape the window because of how it's set in the wall room, but that's not a problem.

Once that is done there is nothing in the room that has to be cut in. Is it still better to roll on the paint vs shoot it on with a paint gun, especially since we are doing the ceiling as well. (Over 8' ceilings in the room....)

Tim

August 06, 8:42 AM [GMT -5]

very good info will help on next paint project.

Great tips! Latex extender is everyone's friend :)