I always paint the trim last. It's a lot easier to tape a flat wall than trim .

July 05, 10:56 AM [GMT -5]

Professionals do not usually tape and I rarely do myself. Only to protect builtin furnitdure or Kitechen cabnets. Taping has its own set of problems!

July 02, 4:48 AM [GMT -5]

why a cotton drop cloth instead of plastic?

July 02, 4:01 AM [GMT -5]

Don't understand why it is recommended to paint the trim first. To me, it is much easier to tape a flat wall surface versus the trim edges .

April 24, 1:40 AM [GMT -5]

Before painting a wall, fill holes with spackle using a five-in-one tool or wide blade and caulk. Sand dry spackle smooth, and prime each spot.

August 30, 2:11 AM [GMT -5]

Tips are very useful.
The important factor is t to get a long lasting painting, is to get rid of lose, dirty, or wet content found over the exterior walls.

Great tips! I did notice the earlier comment on pulling the tape when the paint is wet, therefore, not having to cut. It works great to pull the tape when wet, if you are doing only one coat. My last project I had to put on a sealer/bonding prime and then two top coats. Taping takes a lot of time, so puting it on three times was too much. I did talk to a full time painter and he said, he cuts the tape as in the article. If I do one coat, it is earlier and quicker to pull the tape at a 45 degree angle when wet. If you have more than one coat, then cutting method is best approach..

Excellent article. I follow most of these steps. I am not sure about cutting the trim tape. I also pull the tape before it dries and get a nice straight line.