Required Tools for this Project
Have the necessary tools for this DIY project lined up before you start—you’ll save time and frustration.
You'll also need a margin trowel, a mason's trowel, a concave jointer, a concrete float and a brick hammer.
Required Materials for this Project
Avoid last-minute shopping trips by having all your materials ready ahead of time. Here's a list.
- 36 in. cardboard concrete form
- 48 in. cardboard concrete form (or for less money substitute a 4x8 sheet of hardboard to
make both forms)
- Ten 80-lb. bags of concrete mix
- Two 10 ft. lengths of 3/8-in. rebar
- 25 firebricks
- One half-gallon bucket of refractory cement (sold at a brickyard)
- 120 face bricks
- Five 80-lb. bags of Type N mortar mix