May 28, 7:50 AM [GMT -5]

I completed this project this weekend and there were a few issues with the instructions. first the plans say to use 10-80# bags of concrete, I only used 7-60# bags. Then the top ring I used 47 brick, I did have to step it out a bit to create the overhang but not that much to have to use 7 more brick than the plans. Overall it came out awesome and have gotten so many compliments. So much better than the store bought pits. Due to some resourcefulness on my part it only cost me under $100.

This is much faster...Buy a firering...dig your circle...To a depth of half the fire rings depth.
Place in hole...You should have the "upper half of "fire ring above ground"...Take your best buddie or wife...Go out in the country for a sunday ride...Collect good sized "rocks(for "free")
Come home, place them around outside perimiter of the firering...LOOKS AWeSOME! CHEAP! and blends in well with nature
Then split a "tree lof in half...add two "shorter tree lolgs for the "legs"...Flip half of log over so your butt sits on "smooth side...
There you are...Firepit and benches made out of tree logs...Cost? Just the price of a 4 or 5 foot fire ring...Your choice...We do a foot.
Lasts FOREVER! Looks natural, especially in a country setting...

Last year I installed a fire pit I bought online from Home Depot. The pit was all concrete block but they had a very natural look to the blocks so when I stacked it up the fire pit had a stone look. I think I paid around $400 for it including delivery. It took about 1 hour to install and it was pretty easy. I believe it was called the Random Stone fire pit or something like that and it came from a company called Natural Concrete Products. It doesn't look quite as good as using regular stones but for the price and time savings it was well worth it.

Demanding project, lot of manual labor. Turned out good though. I decided to make it a foot wider, I like bigger pits and burning bigger logs. Just a few tips that would have been helpful: I used 60" and 48" circles. I used 8 bags of concrete, 7 of the mortar. It took me roughly 35 firebricks. Digging the 8" hole is a task if done by hand, especially if ground is hard. Try soaking it real good first. The sonotube forms were impossible to find locally, I used the 1/8" hardboard, found only at Home Depot, not Lowe's. Was only $9 for a sheet, they will need to cut it for you. Gotta do some math to find the Circumference and then cut them as long as you can. I found a lot of nailing and tape will not make a perfect circle. About a 3" overlap is all you need to nail it into a perfect circle. Stake all around if using hardboard, not just as pictured. When you dump concrete in, they will shift easily and mess up your circles, boards are real flimsy. Seemed to me like the concrete needed more water than the directions, also seemed like I could have packed it down better. I found 1 1/4 gallons of water per bag worked good. The "refractory cement" is impossible to find locally and can be purchased on the net. I did not use this for the firebricks, I used type N mortar and added some fire clay. Seemed to work okay although this part is challenging, especially the draw holes (half bricks). I would recommend ordering the R cement and trying that method, the mortar does not stick well to the firebricks. The rest of the bricks isn't too bad, just get all the tools, especially the tuck pointer. Get a good solid pair of gloves or you will ruin your fingers if they get holes in them. Really pay attention to the height of the bricks and the mortar so it is level when you do the cap. Also, make sure to continue your bricks above where the draw hole is (it should just be on the bottom row). The directions overlook this. You don't want to be fitting bricks in down the road, this was a challenge. Get some of those Knee guards things to protect your kneecaps. Also, use a bucket to put mortar in from wheel barrow, will help save your back. Overall, cool looking..can't wait for the first burn and to have friends over!!

I was just reading on another website that recommends at least one or two expansion/contraction joints in a fire pit that has a diameter over four or five feet, is this a required step if I follow the directions here?

Great instructions and comments, i am just finishing up this weekend. For the forms I actually had a few yards left over of this 5" green garden boarder that I bought on Amazon. It was cheap and i was able to make a pretty decent circle for the inner and outer. Could have been perfected but I was rushing with a 3 year old helping me. For the top cap I ended up using concrete former stone from lowes as the rest of my yard has more of a gray stone look than all red brick. Firing it up for the first time on Tuesday. I went with two opposing half vents and lava gravel filled to the level of the foundation. I did end up a bit shorter on the red brick then the verticle fire brick, which made me have to put a heavy morar layer under the top cap. You cannot really see it but you are not supposed to lay mortar on for fill like that. I couldnt decide on anything to fill it though. You must really keep the stacked height of the outer brick in mind as you build to avoid going under, having to run a 4th course, or going over, then using costly refrac motor to fill (filling with N mortar on the inside would be a really bad idea from the direct heat).

October 30, 9:29 AM [GMT -5]

Very first step mentions laying down the concrete liner ring and putting a circular rebar ring, yet the Materials List makes zero mention of the ring (and as important: where to get and how much does it cost?)

October 28, 3:57 PM [GMT -5]

I am trying to build a fire pit on top of a large concrete slab patio. I don't want to dig up the spot for the firepit, what do I need to place between the fire and the concrete? Or can I build this firepit on top of the slab?

May 13, 9:58 AM [GMT -5]

I had problems with the alternate concrete form recommendation. If you do not purchase the cardboard rings the directions suggest you can use 1/8” hard board ripped to 8” strips. The directions say to “Carefully bend and screw two strips together to create a 36-in.-diameter circle….” I found that 36” diameter was just a little too small for the hardboard I purchased from my box store. It snapped in several places when forming the circle to 36”. Hard board sheets are sold 96” inches long and the 36” inner circle needs approximately 113.4” inches to for the circle (I tried one piece 96” and one piece 17”). The 17” piece is to short and lacks the flexibility you can obtain with longer pieces to make a graceful curve.

I solved my problem by using two layers of hardboard, laminated, to make up the ring. I used 2 pieces 56.5” to for the OD and 2 pieces 56” long to create inner circle. I staggered the joints of the 4 pieces and some clamps to hold everything together to achieve the perfect 36” outside dimension. I used screws and some narrow pieces of scrap wood (positioned inside the ring) to hold it all together.

Hope this helps anyone looking to use the alternate form instructions. I had no issue using the hardboard to achieve the larger outside diameter.

The question I have, is how does it survive the heat over several years? I have seen lots of fire pits but they all have the same thing in common. They crack! Just like the "free" rocks around a hole in the ground. My neigbor build something similar to this but every other brick, was a space of air. His claim is it releases the heat so the bricks and mortar wont crack. Time will tell, he has only had one fire in it. He is not a big fire guy, so not sure if his design will be tested.
I burn big fires very weekend. It is not uncommon for me to burn up a 4x8 sheet of old wood, or an old dock section from time to time. What can handle the heat but look this nice?

I was thinking of building this fire pit but I was thinking of making it into a charcoal grill as well. What could I do to allow for 2 grills to be inserted for grilling?

The bricks I used were longer so I had problems breaking them. I used a skill saw with a diamond blade to cut them which worked fine.For some reason I didn't use as much concrete and cement but the plans and directions worked out great. I had never worked with bricks before but it came out looking good. we really enjoy making fires and having a few beers.